Thread: General Programming Failure ($85) $0385 With Autocal

Default General Programming Failure ($85) $0385 With Autocal

Hi guys,

I am looking for some help with a customers truck. I will go over what I did step by step and maybe someone will be able to tell me how to get the truck to flash.

Truck is a 2006 LBZ with a remote start and trailer brake controller it had a Diablo tune in it with no hand held and was bought that way from the dealer, everything else is stock. The computer is a 32 bit windows vista (yes I know about running as admin)

- Had to update the Autocal to the newest bootloader and bootblock that came with V8.2.2 Build 229
    - Read out the tune that was in the truck, read out with no issues however it had a checksum issue which I am sure was from the diablo.
    - Made a DSP5 tune for the customer with an OS of 12604138, I have flashed this exact tune into many other trucks.
    - Saved it for remote flashing, again done this 100's of times.
    - Connected to the customers computer and got the info I needed for ordering a second license for the autocal (this autocal was also used to tune his brothers truck a few months earlier)
    - Once the license showed I proceeded to open up my DSP5 tune in the scan and tune window and clicked full flash.
    - Everything started out just fine till we got 7 minutes in where I got a General Programming Failure ($085)
    - Turned off the key, asked the customer if there was anything aftermarket on the truck and he said there was a remote starter and a brake controller
    - Got him to pull the fuses for the remote starter and to try again
    - This time the flash only went about 2 minutes in before the same error popped up
    - Did some searching to see what it could be without much luck, had him hook up a battery charger to the truck and to pull both the INFO and RADIO fuses just to see
    - This time it would go to erasing and then kick itself out as soon as it came up that it was erasing with the exact same error code.
    - Copied the tune files to the autocal and then tried to use the Autocal to directly flash the truck with the exact same error code right after it starts to do its thing.
    - I do not think the ECM is dead, EFI Live still detects it and it otherwise seems fine, but it will not accept either a Cal or full flash and that error pops up instantly.

- Tried to read out whatever is left in the ECM and on the scan and tune window it would not pop up the ECM. However when using the AC as a stand alone it went to 0% read and just sat there. Which makes me believe it is still seeing the computer. I also asked the customer to turn off the key and try to read out the tune just to see what I would get for an error and a $0281 popped up, again leading me to believe its still alive.

Looking for some ideas to get this truck back on the road.

Thanks in advance!

Mitch
    Last edited by Mitco39; August 6th, 2013 at 04:46 AM.

I think there may be a bug in the new drivers, possibly?

Got the customer to go grab a windows 7 computer and had the exact same issues. Tried to flash with 7.5 and I couldnt get the program to open when the AC was plugged into the laptop. I would have to unplug it once it locked up while opening and then plug it back in once the window opened. I tried to full flash a clean tune from tunefiledepot into the truck and it would freeze about halfway through the process it goes through just to get itself ready to flash. (you know all the green text that runs down the screen before actually starting the flash). It would lock the laptop up solid and you would have to unplug the AC and then it would all come back. I did this a few times with no luck.

As a final try I decided to use the new windows 7 laptop to reinstall the bootblock and firmware in efilive explorer. Everything went ahead fine and then I told the customer to black box flash the controller. It went through with the flash and now the truck is up and running. If I had to guess what was going on I would point towards the drivers being the culprit for us, and with the new update you cannot even use the EFI Live drivers tool to downgrade to older known working ones as it will not let you with the new builds.

Anyways after 4 hours of back and forth the truck is running.

Mitch

There is a new release that seems to solve all USB driver related issues.
    http://forum.efilive.com/showthread....te-Aug-06-2013
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Good to know, thanks.

Ill get the customer to download this and hopefully everything is good to go.

Thanks!

Mitch
    Xtreme FX Tuning