Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HELP!! FLASH GONE BAD! Have i bricked my ECM?!

Something else i just thought of, i was trying to data log and couldnt get the pids to show up on the graph. when i parked the truck i figured id mess with the logging later and that is when i tried the small change to the tune and all this happened. i dont know if that had something to do with it or not but if i cant figure out the data logging that may be my next question, tomorrow or the day after when i have time and AFTER the dealer reflash, small price to pay compaired to an ecm. btw i followed the efi tutorials as well as the efi live for dummies and i could NOT get the pids to show up. the log is saved but there is nothing on it, just scrolls. ill try figuring it out myself as soon as i have time.

Lifetime Member

Send the file through when you get a chance.

Cheers
    Cindy

Okay Cindy I just sent the file I was flashing when it gave me the error. Like I said before I flashed this same file 3 times with no trouble and did everything by the book. It really struck me when it messed up. The only thing I did different was the data logging and i couldn't get that to work (probably my fault).

When I thought my ECM could have been bad, I tried everything I knew of from other peoples input. stopping the flash during the "erasing" part manually and starting over seemed to do it. Maybe it was the file? I don't know. Thanks again

Lifetime Member

Your file looks fine, is intact and suitable for flashing.

I cannot explain why you had your issues, other than I'm glad they are now sorted and you didn't kill your ECM.

Cheers
    Cindy

Any fix for the $0548 error code? I have an ecm that started popping this code after a few successful flashes. Now I can't flash it and the truck engine will not even crank over.
    Lee

Reiff Diesel

Lee, are you a genuine stock tune to work from?
    06 QCLB, DRW
    Single pump
    Single turbo
    EFILive 772hp 1398tq

gordon@innovativediesel.com

Yes. The tune I'm working from is 100% stock, read from an ecm that was reflashed at the dealership. The problem seems to be with a certain version v7.5 tuning software not converting the file properly for flashing with v8.

I was using v7.5.7.234 and v8.2.2.228 both were downloaded from here.

I realize this is the 5.9 section and the ecm I'm working on is 6.7. I currently have another ecm coming in, hopefully this one doesn't do the same. I have updated to the latest software versions.

The big question is, Is the ecm bricked?
    Last edited by LReiff; September 10th, 2013 at 12:29 AM.
    Lee

Reiff Diesel

Ok here is what happened. The ecm read I used for tuning has the Anti-Tuning Boot Loader. Read about it here.

The history.
    The clean OS read came from an ecm that was installed at the dealership after the original ecm died, different truck than the one I just bricked the ecm.

I had tuned the original ecm so obviously the customer wanted the new ecm tuned as well.
    I tuned the new (refurbished) ecm.
    Today it only came back to me (in my mind) that I had to flash it with the OS I had saved from his original ecm.

The OS from the original ecm with the older version bootloader flashed in just fine...so, Refurbed ecms can be loaded with an older version bootloader? ? ? ?

The current issue.
    I have a bricked ecm due to bootloader version 1000601. EFI-Live software will update a bootloader version.
    Always check your cummins tunes to be sure they do not contain the dreaded bootloader version 1000601.
    Let this be a warning to others!

Hind sight is always 20/20!
    Edited for clarification
    Last edited by LReiff; September 10th, 2013 at 06:51 AM.
    Lee

Reiff Diesel

Lifetime Member

Lee,

Your ECM SHOULD be recoverable from the Checksum error. Can you try and reflash the 601 stock file you saved originally back into ECM. That should flash in fine, and it won't reinstall the protected boot block.

Cheers
    Cindy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast