Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: COS3 bootblock error 12212156

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    Ok, understood, these are expected/ok then.
    Not really "expected/ok".

The $FE reply code is an internal code from the boot loader (running in the PCM) to the EFILive software telling the software that the check sum in the PCM is incorrect. When loading a COS operating system the check sum is deliberately left incorrect to prevent any attempt to operate the vehicle until a valid calibration is flashed. So yes, it is expected but no it should not be displayed to the user as an error. It should be handled silently by the software and a message such as "You should now program the calibrations" should be displayed to the user instead.

I'm, working on fixing it for the next update.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
    Not really "expected/ok".

The $FE reply code is an internal code from the boot loader (running in the PCM) to the EFILive software telling the software that the check sum in the PCM is incorrect. When loading a COS operating system the check sum is deliberately left incorrect to prevent any attempt to operate the vehicle until a valid calibration is flashed. So yes, it is expected but no it should not be displayed to the user as an error. It should be handled silently by the software and a message such as "You should now program the calibrations" should be displayed to the user instead.

I'm, working on fixing it for the next update.

Regards
    Paul
    Paul, thanks for the clarification.

So does that mean the COS actually flashed in ok? I've gotten that same error, but it HAS to be something new, or else everyone trying to flash a COS would get it, right? I tried and tried, got it every time. Went back to my original OS, then started a thread looking for help. You're saying a cal flash should work after this, even though it indicates a failure?

Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    So does that mean the COS actually flashed in ok? I've gotten that same error, but it HAS to be something new, or else everyone trying to flash a COS would get it, right? I tried and tried, got it every time. Went back to my original OS, then started a thread looking for help. You're saying a cal flash should work after this, even though it indicates a failure?
    Are you flashing into a 512KB PCM (part number '0411)...?

It definitely is a 512k PCM, not certain if its a 411 or not. Its an LS1B from a 2000 Sierra. I did make sure EFI has permissions in the V7.5 folder too. I keep seeing that as a solution for similar problems.

So does that mean the COS actually flashed in ok?
    Yes
    I've gotten that same error, but it HAS to be something new, or else everyone trying to flash a COS would get it, right?
    Yes it was accidentally introduced when we tightened up error detection in some other areas. We get the same "error message" here on our test systems.
    You're saying a cal flash should work after this, even though it indicates a failure?
    Yes.

It is fixed in the next update (V7.5.7 build 248).

Regards
    Paul

Well, either running as an Administrator, or changing permissions did the trick. I still got the error message, but it didn't say the flash failed this time. I put a cal on top of that, and it loaded. Read the PCM after that, and it showed the Custom tables, so I am gonna say it worked! Next step is now the hard part. I didn't see in the guides that it was critical to A: run as an admin, and B: be sure to specifically grant permissions to that one folder.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
    Yes

Yes it was accidentally introduced when we tightened up error detection in some other areas. We get the same "error message" here on our test systems.

Yes.

It is fixed in the next update (V7.5.7 build 248).

Regards
    Paul
    Thanks Paul.

I didn't see in the guides that it was critical to A: run as an admin, and B: be sure to specifically grant permissions to that one folder.
    The "Admin" issue is caused by the "User Access Control" (UAC) security changes Microsoft made to Windows 7. Previously (in Windows XP and earlier) applications could create/write files in the "Program Files" folder without requiring elevated priviliges. But with Win7 and later operating systems, only Admin privileged accounts can write to the "Program Files" folder.

Older versions of EFILive V7 still have legacy code that, during an LS1 full flash, tries to save the controller's seed/key information in a file called PCMLocks.ini in the "Program Files" folder. Later version of EFILive V7 store that file in "My Documents".
    The seed/key is saved in that file in case something goes wrong with the full-flash and the controller gets accidentally locked with a seed/key other than what was commanded. We can always recover the seed/key from the file in such cases.

Regards
    Paul

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12