Thread: will not connect to laptop

Default will not connect to laptop

I have the v2 and it has been working great. today I was doing some data logging, I unplugged the v2 from my laptop and truck. when I go to plug the v2 into my laptop again it will not do anything. it doesn't connect and the v2 screen stays dark and no lights flash or anything. it will work if I plug it straight into my truck though. any thoughts?

sound like usb cord if trashed
    97 2500 ecsb 5.7l/4l80e/4x4 411 pcm /thorley tri-y's/dual super 40's with x (catless)/aem cai/msd 6a and coil/zz4 cam/beehive spring/lm-1

stock sucks

also if I can get some clarification, ive been reading more on here about plugging the v2 into a laptop that is plugged into the vehicle, if I do this will the v2 literally go up in smoke? and can I also trash the v2 if I plug my laptop into a wall outlet? my laptop doesn't have great battery life that's why im wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by marra1123 View Post
    also if I can get some clarification, ive been reading more on here about plugging the v2 into a laptop that is plugged into the vehicle, if I do this will the v2 literally go up in smoke? and can I also trash the v2 if I plug my laptop into a wall outlet? my laptop doesn't have great battery life that's why im wondering.
    If there are multiple ground paths between laptop and vehicle, then there may/will be a problem with ground potentials being different (causing a large current to flow... V2 may get hit).

If there are multiple power/ground paths between wall outlet and vehicle, same kind of deal... so if vehicle battery is being charged from a wall outlet and your laptop is being powered by a wall outlet, then you have multiple ground paths.