Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tuned by frost 4L80E conversion harness and T42 compatibility

Default Tuned by frost 4L80E conversion harness and T42 compatibility

Recently swapped to a 4l80e from the 60e in my ’08 Sierra. Using the tuned by frost conversion harness which doesn’t require a segment swap and allows for full converter lockup (pending the 60segment will allow). As part of the codes and fields required to be modified are the {E0804} Slipping Trans Min Temp. Steve states the E0804 must be maxed out to disable the slip test and without the test being disabled the harness will not work. Unfortunately I’m not seeing the Slipping Test under Transmission Diagnostics for my T42 or any of the T42’s on the tune file depot.

Instructions:
    Max out Trans Component Diagnostic Enable Temp in Trans Diag Tab
    Ignore front VSS sensor (leave unplugged) and disable input speed sensor (if applicable)

Had I known the modifications needed aren’t listed in Efilive I wouldn’t have purchased and installed the harness. Has anyone had any luck using the Frost harness and Efilive? Or know how to make it work?

Lifetime Member

Have a look at D7014, D7015, and D7026 in your T42 calibration.

I've set D7014 to field max, 318 mph
    D7015 is currently 0 but have tried field max also
    D7026 is also set to no, yes had no effect.

Interesting note when I set P0717 to X: Not Reported as also recommended the truck doesn’t run well when in boost or tb is greater than say 50%, power drops off, exhaust changes pitch, bank 1 goes lean (mv’s drop), wideband also shows lean but trans shifts great and changes to shift times, pressure, torque reduction act accordingly. If I change P0717 back to B: 2 Trips, Emissions the truck runs out great awesome power, no leanness, ect but it feels as though the shift pressures are maxed out. Its honestly undrivable. 1-2 at low speed low throttle and neck snapping, 2-3, etc. Move the lever from 4-3 while cruising with light throttle and I swear it’s as if its going to break the driveline.

Before finding P0717 I spent many hours, logging, checking fuel pressure, playing with tune, swapping coils, 02’s, injectors from bank to bank and the “lean” condition always presented its self on bank 1. If I set P0717 to B: 2 Trips, Emissions the trans doesn’t appear to be affected by shift times, pressure, torque reduction, adaptives, ect first few shifts its ok then bam its undrivable. Switch P0717 and like clockwork the problems switch.

Is anyone aware of a way to disable the 1870 from running if the slip tests are not available for the T42's?

Got things working this weekend with the help of Rhino.

I made an 8hr round trip to visit with Rhino who also uses HP Tuners to finally finish the 4L80 swap.
    Once the {E0804} (as we know it) Slipping Trans Test Min Temp is maxed out and saved to the TCM this eliminated the power loss and bank 1 going lean on hard acceleration. However this didn’t cure the very harsh shifting that wasn’t changing despite our efforts to slow, reduce pressure, increase toque mgmt, etc. Back in EFILive I modified the {P0717} Input Speed Sensor Circuit Low Voltage to Disable which allowed the shift speed, pressure, etc to affect the shift again while retaining the fueling requested.

Without the ability to access the {E0804} Slipping Trans Test Min Temp from EFILive on the T42 controller the Tuned by Frost 4L60 to 4L80 harness is not an ideal option.
    Last edited by Shupe; September 30th, 2013 at 07:12 AM.

Lifetime Member

Guess I just wanted to clarify, but I'm guessing that the usual method of controlling a 4L80E by using the 4L60E setup (in this case a T42) won't work like we have done with the LS1B PCM. Is this just specific to those trannys that use the T42? Or is it just some years of T42 setups? Maybe it's just how Frost does his wiring harness?

BTW - Thanks Shupe for posting up your issue and how you got it resolved. Not ideal I realize, but thanks for sharing your work around.

I believe its specific to the T42 TCM's and the Frost harness. I looked through all the T42 files on the tune file depot and none had the {E0804} and according to Frost without access do disable the Slip test from running via {E0804} parameter the harness wouldn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Shupe View Post
    I believe its specific to the T42 TCM's and the Frost harness. I looked through all the T42 files on the tune file depot and none had the {E0804} and according to Frost without access do disable the Slip test from running via {E0804} parameter the harness wouldn't work.

Hey guys,

Hadn't been over this way in a while and just had this thread sent to me with questions.

P1870 is trans slip (DTC). In HPT, you have to set it's enable temp to max as noted. HOWEVER; the EFI Live work-around *SHOULD* be just updating the gear ratio in the trans cal to match the actual ratio of the 80's gears. I have not specifically tested this, but that MPH discrepancy is what triggers the slip DTC. This really should get you through without having to edit 1637/{E0804} in regards to it's error reporting as well as restoring the DTC's functionality. HPT users do not have access to change the trans' internal gear ratios for some reason.

Next, the other trip up is that the DTC for the ISS (ISS low) MUST be disabled in the TCM. Don't feel too bad; the HPT guys are just out of luck here. EFI Live will do it and so will Tunercat. The one GOTCHA is that there are a few years in the middle for the 60 where there IS an ISS even though there is no external cable/connection as you are used to seeing on later model units. The ISS actually goes through the gang-plug on the trans to get back to the OE harness. These units must have the ISS low DTC removed from the TCM as well as the later units with an external ISS.

I offer to set up ALL of these things at time of checkout ($25) on the website so that end tuners/users will not NEED multiple software packages... you just send in the controller(s) and I take care of all of these things and send it back ready to tune on.

Past those items, it makes the 80 swap realllly easy.
    Last edited by Frost; April 8th, 2014 at 01:56 PM. Reason: minor clarification
    Steve Williams

Thanks Steve.

bumping this thread up from the dead ... having the same issues mentioned here, fingers crossed!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast