Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LS1 manual to auto reflash and basic tune to get me going!

I'll try and post the diagrams from the changes I've made. Checked today, there is no reluctor wheel on the second trans bung. Thought this May have been the case, although I was hoping it wasn't. Don't know if I can get the ecu to read the nissan vss in the transfer, I'll see what it's sending to the ecu tom

OS 12212156
    02 camaro + 02 silverado LQ4 6.0L trans segment

Quote Originally Posted by ZAPPA View Post
    I'll try and post the diagrams from the changes I've made. Checked today, there is no reluctor wheel on the second trans bung. Thought this May have been the case, although I was hoping it wasn't. Don't know if I can get the ecu to read the nissan vss in the transfer, I'll see what it's sending to the ecu tom
    You mean the VSS bung in the 4L80E case...? There should be a reluctor, it is machined into the output planetary carrier...!?

Because this one was out of a 4x4 suburban, the vss is in the transfer and on some the ring was never fitted. This is the case with mine, checked the front one, definitely the clogged wheel, look in the back one, just straight steel, no ring.
    Which after doing a bit of research I was hoping mine wasn't one of them but it is. I should have taken a picture before I put the exhaust back on. When I have it off again I'll take a shot inside the hole.
    Now I need to try and work out how I'm going to get a vss to the ecu, I sure as shit aren't pulling the box! I have wired the nissan vss straight to the harness vss connector, today I'll chuck the comp in and see if it's getting a signal( if it will read something) from the nissan sender and try and alter the speedo calibration to suit in my tune.

are the reluctor wheels the same front and back joe? had another look and there is a sort of tooth gear but it doesn't feel anything like the front and is not directly inline with the sensor? I moved the sensor from front to back and now im not getting any info on the scan too for input/output or vehicle speed?

There is no reluctor wheel! It's the park detention we were looking at. There is a adaptor that goes from the 4l80 to the patrol transfer that I will get 40 grooves machined into. The adaptor housing has a machined section for a speed sensor. Wish marks adaptor had told me about it earlier. I had a 4l60e that I pulled the tail off and they have a 40 tooth reluctor as well. Is there any guidelines for how deep the grooves need to be? If I do them the same size as the 4l60 ones should be alright? The shaft is around 52mm .
    Does anyone see any dramas with this?

Lifetime Member

Did some checking ... the rear VSS reluctor ring is a pressed on item ... and as you have discovered is often missing from 4L80 transmissions originally installed in 4x4 applications.

Doesn't look like GM offers this piece individually.

If you try an internet search use part number 34477A (sometimes W34477A). Found these on eBay ... $20 to $30.

Ok so I had the adaptor shaft machined with 10 grooves( very hard to do more) and the ecu will pick up on the pulses. We had to make some changes to diff and tyre size, but ultimately the ecu is seeing real vehicle speed. the tranny seems to shift ok but something is up with the setup. it seems to be reliant on tps. you can feather the throttle and the revs will clean up. but if you don't it almost feels like its missing real bad? Hard to explain. Worse in higher gears. I think its something to do with the convertor.
    I have wired it like this
    Relay, pin 85 pcm side of c2-47
    pin 87a tranny side of c2-47
    pin 86 12v+
    pin 30 good ground.
    I also moved pin c2-2 to c2-42.
    I didn't swap the pins, ive just bleft the other out. Is that right or should 42 go back into 2?
    This arvo I will check the tranny plug. Between me and my friend, cant remember if we did anything with the wiring down there, I don't think we did but ill check.
    Does the wiring(apart from me checking the plug sound right)
    The relay does a fair bit of clicking, not sure when it should be.
    Cheers, Im so close but no cigar just yet!!

The relay that inverts the 2-3 shift solenoid signal should only click when the following happen:
    - PCM commands shift 2->3,
    - PCM commands shift 3->2;

it should not click otherwise.

Sounds right... can you draw a labelled pic of your wiring (and scan it and post it)...?

What signal are you using to drive 4L80E TCC PWM (you cannot use 4L60E TCC PWM)...?

I dont know which one im using, Just doing it as was shown. What should i use to drive the 4l80 tcc pwm?
    Sorry mate, im a plumber and not bad with electrics but this has been a crash course to say the least!! But im learning!!
    As far as the wiring goes, all ive done is left the 4l60 trans plug alone, and did the relay and moved the pins. Is there something else I should do.
    Thanks for your assistance, i appreciate it mate

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast