Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 05 LLY starting and surging issues

i appreciate the honesty, i don't know logging this is all new to me. I assure you this is a 100% stock vehicle this happens key cycle to key cycle. The last logs i gave you had no surging issues the logs prior to that had surging. i bet if i went out and logged again there wouldn't be surging. The blimps in the throttle position are where i had to let off the throttle in order for the transmission to shift up a gear.

My only codes are for a bad #8 glow plug and front right and left wheel sensors that is all. Im sorry about my logging once again im new to this side of it, ill get some more reading done and post something use full. I do not have a vin license yet for this truck do you think flashing in a stock or performance tune might clear this up?

I do appreciate your help tho! Thanks
    2005 GMC Sierra ec/lb LLY - stock-

ill go pull the stock tune out of it now and we can see if its something there, i cant flash anything back in tho.

Edit:(to save some page space) here is the tune i just pulled out, like i said im very certain this truck is stock. the place i work updated their fleet and this was my work truck. I bought it off them, it only had two drive me and one other. Ofcourse there is a chance the guy before me tried to put a programmer in it but i highly doubt it. It ran fine up until a few months ago then this started. Ive been driving it for atleast 8 months and ive been the only driver.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Sleepertrk; August 18th, 2013 at 02:40 PM.

That is stock. But your log is not reflecting stock behavior, at least with respect to fueling. You must have some kind of electrical issue. You may also have a bad ECM.
    Michael, Systems Engineer 04.5 D-max LLY, Phoenix, Arizona Email
    Custom Tuning Services
    DURAMAX/CUMMINS ECM's TCM's for sale, all years, 20% wholesale discount available
    EFILive's first VGT "Software Wastegate Tune"

Ok, Ive got a lot of questions now i guess. Thanks

Log the MAF and the coolant temp voltage, see if they drop to 0v when the truck is acting up. If so check the ecmB fuse contacts and associated wiring. Also remove and clean all engine grounds and front chassis grounds.

Ok BMC1025 i will check those out and see what i find. Thanks for your info. Are ECM failures common on these trucks? I did log cam and crank pulses last night and the crank shaft sensor was all zeros but the cam did miss once. Is that normal or could i have a bad cam sensor?

Ok killerbee, will you please take a look at this log and see if I got it right this time. I also got a P1094 code while I was testing. Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepertrk View Post
    Ok killerbee, will you please take a look at this log and see if I got it right this time. I also got a P1094 code while I was testing. Thanks
    With the scan tool connect to your truck and select the PID's for desired Fuel rail pressure and actual fuel rail pressure along with a few others that may be pertinent and then select the yellow button to display data then select the DVT tab above hit the button for activate then select the control tab below and check the box next to fuel rail pressure control and drag the square all the way to the right to increase pressure to 160 MPA then go back to your Data tab and see if actual fuel rail pressure went up to about 19 or 20,000 PSI and then dropped back down to 9000-10,000 PSI while desired rai pressure is still up at 23,000 if so replace the fuel pressure relief valve

OK looked at your log it doesn't appear to be the grounding or fuse problem. Your timing looks to be relatively low across the board. Log the desired and actual rail pressure P1094 can set with a bad FPR, FPRV, and possibly a bad injector. I would start by logging the difference between actual and desired and see where at in the rpm range the differences occur, by the deffinition of that code it should be at idle. Check to see if fuel is leaking out of the FPRV at idle.

This log is better, but add FRPDES to your list.

Everything continue to point to fuel pressure problems. You are never getting the fuel pressure you need. I am curious where you are because MAF and baro suggest you are in the mountains. I wonder if your symptoms disappear when you are lower (or higher).

Fuel pump (CP3) cavitation becomes worse, the higher you go. Increasing the inlet pressure (lift pump) to the CP3 is always the answer to cavitation, and usually cheaper than a new CP3. FYI, cavitation shows up as lowered actual FRP, compared to FRPDES.
    Michael, Systems Engineer 04.5 D-max LLY, Phoenix, Arizona Email
    Custom Tuning Services
    DURAMAX/CUMMINS ECM's TCM's for sale, all years, 20% wholesale discount available
    EFILive's first VGT "Software Wastegate Tune"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast