Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad Flash (possible bricked ecu)

Yea shes toast. im going to see if i can grab a couple at the local junkyard. Paul when i find one ill email you the receipt. The chip we talked about earlier would it be the same chip you remove for the Road Runner? if so i might just remove it and buy a RR from moates and put in this dead one.

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FreshDA9 View Post
    Yea shes toast. im going to see if i can grab a couple at the local junkyard. Paul when i find one ill email you the receipt. The chip we talked about earlier would it be the same chip you remove for the Road Runner? if so i might just remove it and buy a RR from moates and put in this dead one.
    Yes it will be the same chip.
    Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Also, make sure you don't have after market modules connected to the VPW bus. Many of these will guarantee a flash failure if not disconnected, essentially what happens is they just continue to transmit messages on the data bus (usually in low speed mode) and throwing everything out of whack. There's a reason GM moved to CAN in 2006.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Ok I got 2 ecus at the local yard today pulled out the bench flasher then did a full flash of my original tune and had no problems. It started my truck and im mobile again. 2 things though.

1. I did a crank learn as instructed but when i activated and clicked learn all it said was ok. Is there more im supposed to do? It started and was fine just didnt do much just said OK.

2. Im getting this when i check my codes.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	code.jpg 
Views:	289 
Size:	134.3 KB 
ID:	15708

Paul I did use another license i will scan my receipt and email you my information. thanks again.

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FreshDA9 View Post
    Ok I got 2 ecus at the local yard today pulled out the bench flasher then did a full flash of my original tune and had no problems. It started my truck and im mobile again. 2 things though.

1. I did a crank learn as instructed but when i activated and clicked learn all it said was ok. Is there more im supposed to do? It started and was fine just didnt do much just said OK.

2. Im getting this when i check my codes.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	code.jpg 
Views:	289 
Size:	134.3 KB 
ID:	15708

Paul I did use another license i will scan my receipt and email you my information. thanks again.
    The known issues for the Aug 06 release include V7 not displaying DTCs. You can use FlashScan in standalone mode to view the DTCs until the next update (which should be this week).

On the crank relearn after it says ok, you have to use the throttle to raise the rpm to around 4000-4500, the PCM will then cut the injectors for about 1/10 of a second, once you feel the injector cut out (it will feel like a engine stumble/misfire) release the throttle and allow it to return to idle, then switch off the ignition for about 20 seconds to allow the CASE data to be saved to flash memory in the PCM.

Note: Only one CASE relearn can be performed per ignition cycle. So if you're not sure it worked and want to try it again, then you'll need to cycle the ignition.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

More info see post#2: crank-relearn

Send me the dead ECM, I can fix it.
    www.socaldiesel.com

EFILive-DSP5......Switch your Attitude!
    EFILive-CSP5......The Smart Way To Switch Your Cummins Tunes!
    EFILive-DSP4......Switch Your Colorado and Canyon Too!

Default Re: Bad Flash (possible bricked ecu)

Thanks Paul & Joe.

Trippin i already have it apart. Looks like a simple surface mount chip I'm going to remove and install a road runner in it for the shop as i would love to do customer cars in realtime.

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    Also, make sure you don't have after market modules connected to the VPW bus. Many of these will guarantee a flash failure if not disconnected, essentially what happens is they just continue to transmit messages on the data bus (usually in low speed mode) and throwing everything out of whack. There's a reason GM moved to CAN in 2006.
    Can you give examples of aftermarket modules that may be tied into the bus?

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    Can you give examples of aftermarket modules that may be tied into the bus?
    Anything that is on the VPW bus: bypass modules for aftermarket alarms, iPod/aux adapters, aftermarket stereo chime/Onstar adapters, etc.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast