Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motor swapped lq9 with cam barely runs at all and thowing P0106 code HELP please

Question Motor swapped lq9 with cam barely runs at all and thowing P0106 code HELP please

I put a cam in an lq9 with 80k I bought and dropped it in place of my 5.3 1999 GMC sierra 1500 rcsb.

New stuff: lifters, trays, pushrods, springs, sparkplugs, plug wires, ls6 valley cover, katech rod bolts, katech oil pump, WCCH stage 2 ported heads with .030" milled, new crank sensor, cam sensor, and coolant temp sensor.

Used or already had: pacesetter 1 3/4" headers, full 3" single exhaust, ported cable throttle body, stock intake manifold with marine injectors, ebay CAI, 34" radiator, 05 efans, 10k mile stock water pump, underdrive pulley, 3600 Yank stall, Vacuum modulated built 4l60e, 40k Tru cool, 145 amp alternator, big 3 mod, and 4.10 gears with girdle.

Truck doesn't want to run at all unless I give it a lot of pedal, then it runs like crap for a bit and dies. Then I got the SES light with P0106 code.

Also not seeing any readings on the tach or fuel gauge for some reason, it has never done this before. The Oil pressure, volt gauge, and coolant temp seem to be working. Not sure on Speedo or trans temp for obvious reason.

?I'm not sure if it matters, but would using rtv to hold the map sensor to the intake make any of this happen? Mind u none of it is on the bottom where the reading is, just where unit meets intake.

I'm going to post my tune and see if anything other than swapping out the map pops into anyones head?

Tune: Attachment 15718

changed MAP sensor with another sensor and no change.

BUT I did find something interesting about the gauge cluster, my IGN0 fuse is blowing causing this problem. And part of what that is VCM/PCM according to manual.

So I'm gonna try disconnecting a few extra grounds that I have from Efan harness and Big 3, tomorrow to see what would be causing this to blow.

In case this issue and the running like crap are unrelated, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Still no luck with the fuse blowing issue. removed big 3 and Efan harness, along with unplugging almost every piece of the harness from the engine. But still blows fuse. I do think that once I find this, the motor will run fine...its just finding it.

Couple of other things I'm going to try and check are PCM connections (installed part of Efan harness to Pin 42), starter, and crank position sensor plug.

If it isn't any of those I don't have any idea about what else it could be, because I didn't mess with anything else.

It blows the fuse when I move the ignition to the start position (when it primes the fuel pump), not when i go to crank the motor.

I've also tried a different tune and it made no difference, just wanted to be sure.

I also pulled every fuse on the truck to make sure nothing else was blown and it was all fine other than IGN0 fuse (PRN321 Display, odometer, VCM/PCM).

BLAH...So annoyingly fed up with this crap.

Don't put RTV to seal the MAP.

Can you find every thing that is downstream of that fuse (do you have a wiring schematic) ...?

Have you checked O2 harness (melted to exhaust), CMP harness (pinched)...?

Fuel pump typically has its own fuse.

Usually fuses labelled IGN feed the ignition switch and the ignition relay... (sounds like a pinched wire causing a short).

I dont have a wiring schematic but maybe I can find one online somewhere.

What is CMP?

crankshadt position sensor, down near the starter

Quote Originally Posted by cyipher View Post
    crankshadt position sensor, down near the starter
    Gotcha, just didn't realize crankshaft position sensor wouldn't be CPS

;-)

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    Don't put RTV to seal the MAP.

Can you find every thing that is downstream of that fuse (do you have a wiring schematic) ...?

Have you checked O2 harness (melted to exhaust), CMP harness (pinched)...?

Fuel pump typically has its own fuse.

Usually fuses labelled IGN feed the ignition switch and the ignition relay... (sounds like a pinched wire causing a short).
    Ok, so I found 2 wire schematics with fuse IGN0 labeled, can you please help me understand them and hunt down the possible solutions with these?

Also, I removed RTV from MAP and swapped to a different one.

O2 Harness seems fine and if I log I am getting normal reading from them.

Fuel pump primes up fine.

Here are schematics of IGN0:
    1Attachment 15724

2Attachment 15723

IGN0 feeds circuit 1020;

circuit 1020 feeds MBEC, UBEC, PCM (ignition voltage), transmission subharness (839) and whatever is in Cell 10 (power distribution)...

you have to physically locate wire 1020 and inspect it for damage (where it would be shorting to ground).

Do you have a pic of Cell 10...?

Be careful with RTV, it could get sucked in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast