Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to soften part throttle shifts: time or pressure?

Lifetime Member

That's pretty cool, limiting the torque at 200 ft/lb. I was logging in NM yesterday and it was a bit crashy at times around 120NM and 200NM depending on the gear. I'm going to view in ft/lb to see where my charts are truly at.

A little OT, but I've lost a TON of advance, I was getting 24* tapering to 19* WOT when it's commanding 33. It's across the board and I logged zero knock. This probably explains the pronounced gutlessness of the truck now, I thought it was all transmission but it appears that's not the case.
    1998 GMC Sierra K1500 5.7/4L80E, longtubes, 411 w/COS 5, marine cam/intake, Whipple. 91 octane at 6000'.
    1997 GMC Sierra K3500 7.4/4L80E, 411 w/COS 3, Whipple, small cam.
    2004 Corvette Z06 with longtubes.

Lifetime Member

According to my log I only generated a max of 145 ft/lb torque, don't know what to think of that. Perhaps this spark issue is causing some odd torque readings? I should also mention that I'm SD tuned.

23 Aug 13 Log 3.efi
    1998 GMC Sierra K1500 5.7/4L80E, longtubes, 411 w/COS 5, marine cam/intake, Whipple. 91 octane at 6000'.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelz View Post
    On the LS1B, EFI live says to set shift time to 0.0 to disable adaptive learning (the descriptive text for each shift table). This would allow the pressure table to solely control how quick the shift occurs, which is how I would dial it in, then maybe log shift times when your done and set the adaptive learn to match if you want to re-enable it.

If you don't disable adaptive learning, or figure out how to set your shift times to approx what they are actually at now, adaptive learning will most certainly make your truck shift like stock after several miles.

For torque management, I've had real good success so far building the table so no reduction occurs till (I picked) 200 ft lbs then reduction limits torque output to 200 ft lbs for all following increased torque values. I can post up my tune tomorrow if anyone wants to see it. Id kinda like to compare it to some other people's tunes.
    That explains a lot!

But if Adaptive learn is already done? Is it stored for next time? Can it be cleared?

I'm going to play with this a little today and log some PIDS like Adaptive shift Cell Number GM.ADPTCELL but I'm not sure where to find what/where cells do? Then Adapt Shift Modifier it 's units are CORR so may tell more. GM.ADAPTSHIFT

Still seems D1107 I believe is the cause of Adaptive Shift learn taking out what shift kit put in.

Determine the limits to which the transmission adapt values can modify the high line pressures.
    This applies to all transmission shift patterns (1-2, 2-3 and 3-4).
    Or maybe it's taking away in D1101, D1102 and D1103 ?

But first have to understand how this is all applied in code, where it starts, what it's looking for and how it makes the adjustments so it can work without going to far?

Lifetime Member

Default How to soften part throttle shifts: time or pressure?

What appears to be happening on my truck is every time I flash it it loses what the adaptive learn values were. So it takes a week or so of driving to get back to where it was because I don't have my pressure tables close enough.

And also, I'm thinking about linearly rolling the torque up from 200 to about 250 to help firm up the shifts at WOT. It feels like a very quick manual shift right now and my exhaust note goes quiet during the shift because of so much reduction. I have a bone stock 4l60 so I don't want to work it too hard though.

Ill get my tune posted up shortly
    14 GMC Sierra
    5.3L CC SB 4x4
    Basic tuning....

Also log GM.TFMPRS to see how the PCM is commanding torque signal pressure

(see how torque signal pressure affects line pressure in the 4L60E Reference Material thread).

What shift kit did you install...?

Lifetime Member

This is my most recent tune. I've been playing with when I want my TCC to lockup relative to the shift. This one just happened to be when I wanted to see how it drove if it was always locked in 2,3,4.

LS1B_COS_03_0011.ctz
    14 GMC Sierra
    5.3L CC SB 4x4
    Basic tuning....

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    What shift kit did you install...?
    Superior, it's a really simple kit.

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    Also log GM.TFMPRS to see how the PCM is commanding torque signal pressure

(see how torque signal pressure affects line pressure in the 4L60E Reference Material thread).
    Went through and read that but did not catch on to the purpose, so not quite sure how I can interput data from it to? Or exactly what GM.TFMPRS is? Obviouisly PRS is pressure, what is TFM?

Here's a screen shot of 100% 1>2 shift and the GM.TFMPRS si going up even before the shift, then spikes at shift, also spikes at 2>3 shift.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TFMPRS-psi.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	307.2 KB 
ID:	15727

Even in logs with just 25%TPS the GM.TFMPRS does spike although less before shifts.

TFM = Torque Force Motor = the old name for Pressure Control Solenoid

any changes you make in the pressure tables and the time tables will show up directly in this pid;

also, any changes you make to the VE and/or MAF tables will indirectly show up here also (if you underscale, causing the torque computation to be low, you will see TFMPRS show low psi).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast