Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Running Discrete Fan with Vette Tune

Default Running Discrete Fan with Vette Tune

I recently acquired a customer that swapped a 2008 LS3 from a vette and a t56 from a GTO in to a 69 Chevelle. He had all kinds of problems from the previous Professional helping him, as in after 2 months the car would not start, had a 5.3 auto pickup OS, starter relay bypass not enabled, brand new harness not making connection with the E38 on some pins, and much more...... Somehow he got my contact info and a few hours after I got my hands on it the car was running great.

I just for the life of me can't get the fan to work when set to discrete. I have done the fan patch to bring things on at lower temps. When set to discrete the fan is always on when the ignition is on. I do have it wired correctly and I can turn it off with DVT. PID shows it correctly. If I set to pulse width mod and use 0 and 100% it works but will click the relay as it approaches temp. I would like to run discrete if possible. The tune is attached. I am running a Vet OS. I have not had this issue with an E38 before. I know what percentages it takes for discrete fan control. Am I missing something in this one? A DTC not set right? There are no DTCs when the car is running.

E38 - man_0000.ctz

And to share, here is the rig....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1539.jpg 
Views:	424 
Size:	663.4 KB 
ID:	15731
    Last edited by SkinnyPedal; August 25th, 2013 at 05:20 PM.

The E38 has the ability to control a 2 stage fan setup. Normally, one fan kicks in and the second comes in if the temps rise further.

The way you have the tune, it should only be turning on the 1st fan ( in the original vehicle ). However, in a custom setup, it's going to depend on the wiring of the fan relays. It's possible that the wiring is incorrect and resulting in the fan staying on. When using the DVT's, did you try alternating between activating each fan? Try swapping between the following...

• No fans active
    • Only fan #1 active
    • Only fan #2 active
    • Both fans active

See if there is any difference.

Simon.

Lifetime Member

Try the attached tune ... Corvettes were configured to use a Fan Control Module, while Trucks used relays - to operate the fans.

You will need to adjust G0901 and G0902 to suit your needs - these were changed when I reset the fans.

The fan PWM% transition points in this particular tune are:

40.0% (Fan 1 OFF)
    44.0% (Fan 1 ON)
    85.0% (Fan 2 OFF)
    90.0% (Fan 2 ON)

Cheers,
    Taz

Thanks guys. Its a single fan, so one relay. Wired for fan one control. I'll give 'er a shot and let you know.

Taz I just looked at the tune. Anytime its set to discrete the fan kicks on. I even tried setting all the transition points to total off, tried 0 and 25. Either should never turn the fan on but if its set to discrete the fan kicks on with ignition.

Lifetime Member

You won't be able to see all of the changes I made ... give the tune I posted a try - only adjusting the G0901 and G0902 values to suit your needs.

I'll give it a shot and let you know. So what all did you do?

Lifetime Member

Changed the Corvette "only works with a Fan Control Module" parameters to Truck style "works with relays" parameters.

Pardon my ignorance, I'm still learning the ins and outs of E38s. Where did you do that? You can respond with a PM if you like.

Lifetime Member

One of the most user friendly components of the EFILive software - which often sets it apart from other softwares - allowing the end user to define necessary parameters (via *.cax file) that were not previously available.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast