Thread: Got new LS1B ECU for truck from junkyard to replace bricked one, and have some ???s

Question Got new LS1B ECU for truck from junkyard to replace bricked one, and have some ???s

I attempted to just straight off read the ECU and it said error $0281 something about no data received.

1. Do I need to do the relink VATS thing 10 mins on, 20 seconds off, 3 times first? Or is this PCM dead too?

2. The ECU is also a 2001 instead of 2002 like before, do I lose any tuneability, for the lower year?

3. And what is the best way to convert the tune I have from 2002 to 2001 OS?
    Last edited by sac811; August 26th, 2013 at 06:55 AM.

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sac811 View Post
    I attempted to just straight off read the ECU and it said error $0281 something about no data received.

1. Do I need to do the relink VATS thing 10 mins on, 20 seconds off, 3 times first? Or is this PCM dead too?
    That's not a good sign, how was the PCM powered and connected to the FlashScan? Was it hooked up to the vehicle's harness or were you using a bench harness?
    Make sure the cigarette lighter fuse is ok, that powers the OBDII copnnector.

2. The ECU is also a 2001 instead of 2002 like before, do I lose any tuneability, for the lower year?
    No.

3. And what is the best way to convert the tune I have from 2002 to 2001 OS?
    Full flash your tune into the new PCM. I highly recommend making sure you can cal-flash it and read it back out again (multiple times) first before attempting any full-flash.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

You will eventually need to perform a VATs relink or disable VATs (before the engine can be started) but not being linked will not prevent reading/flashing the controller.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

The new ecu was thru harness...so guessing new ecu is dead.