Thread: How to tell if the ecm is locked?

Default How to tell if the ecm is locked?

Let me start off by saying I am completely new to EFI Live and GM tuning. I purchased my V2 (cheap) from a friend, who really didn't know what he was doing, but he used the vin licenses that came with it.

Anyway a customer brought me a car (04 Pontiac GTO) with a shifting issue that was built and tuned by another shop, he said it been back there "plenty of times" and they cant get it right, so what I am wanting to know is, is there a way to see if the ecm is locked before I purchase and burn up a vin license? He claimed they used EFI live also.

Is there anything that can be done if its locked?

I am sure I will have a million questions as I proceed with this thing.

Thanks in advance!

Hi, to read a ecm tune you don't use a license , if the tune is read by the tool then you can look at it , edit it if you want. Then if you want to flash it back to the ecm THEN you need to license it to the tool.

Good deal... that being the case if it is locked what options do i have? Seems like it will have to go back to the original tuner to be unlocked is this correct?

Yes going back to the tuner, getting a used ecm if it's cheap ?

i think pcms for less can unlock them and read the tunes but i think the pull the main chip to do so...

Good news apparently its not locked. Now my next question is how do I compare it to a stock tune? I dont have any tunes in my "calibration" folder, also it appears it has a custom OS. I think thats what it means when it says "EFI live custom calibrations" in the parameter tree Click image for larger version. 

Name:	efilivescreen.JPG 
Views:	399 
Size:	252.8 KB 
ID:	15808.

Anyway can i compare this to stock?

Yes, its COS. I dont think COS can be compaired to stock, and the better question is why there is a 20 oint drop from 105 to 115 kpa?

To compare to stock, you need to flash a stock cal in over the top, then read it back out.
    That will give you a COS with stock calibation values in it that you can you as a base comparison to the modified file.

Guys I am sorry if all this has been discussed before me and forum search functions never get along.

How/where do I find a stock calibration? I also assume if/when I find one I just click on "Program PCM calibrations..." NOT "Program PCM operating systems an calibrations..."

Also where is a good place to find a tutorial for getting started, injector data, calibrating the VE tables etc..

Thanks again for the help I really appreciate it.