Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please Read Windows 8 Users (USB3/xHCI)

Default Please Read Windows 8 Users (USB3/xHCI)

If you are having trouble with Windows 8 and flashscan v2 communicating I have a solution for you. Most new laptops are coming with usb 3.0 ports and a feature called x(HCI), which stands for eXtensible Host Controller Interface (xHCI). I like many others had issues with the flashscan connecting to the laptop and being able to read and write files to the flashscan. What I did was I went into the Bios on my laptop by hitting the delete key repeatedly on startup. I then disabled xHCI interface under the USB configuration tab. After I have made this change EFI and the flashscan on windows 8 work like clockwork. Nothing hangs it sees the unit finally and I can read and write bbx files. Hopefully this helps some users on here enjoy EFI Live again as much as I have.
    Last edited by joecar; September 18th, 2013 at 04:51 PM.
    2000 Camaro m6 Full Bolt ons in need of a H/C/I

A2S, thanks for sharing... I added to the title, and stickied it.

Does this prevent the PC from using the USB 3.0 as such? Like, does it just treat them at USB 2.0? What does this directly affect? I am just setting up my new Windows 8 laptop now.

USB3.0 is problematic, I have found on my PC that USB2 memory sticks plugged into USB3 ports can sometimes take up to 20 seconds to be recognised.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

I have no ability to flash or read now with my only laptop. My old laptop died. This Toshiba with windows 8.1 and USB 3.0 ports will not allow me to disable xHCI . Or in other words if I disable xHCI then my USB ports are dead. Is there any way to get my FlashScan to work with USB 3.0?
    If not are there computers on the market with USB 2.0 ports?

thanks,
    Karl Ellwein
    www.EllweinEngines.com
    Personal cars:
    95 impala SS running on an old Speed Pro PCM (Budget 355 LT1)
    Customer cars:
    96 impala SS, LT1-395ci, 4L60E, Stock LT1 PCM
    96 impala SS, LT1-399ci, 4L60E, BP Harness to 0411 PCM and 24x EFI Connection components
    95 impala SS, LT1-395ci, 4L60E, Re-Pinned stock harness to 0411 PCM and 24x EFI Connection components

Well guess what. This is not a USB 3.0 port problem. ($0101).
    I just tried 3 laptops and all received the $0101 error.
    1st laptop is Toshiba with windows 8.1 and using USB 3.0
    2nd laptop is ASUS and windows 8.1 and using USB 3.0
    3rd laptop is Sony and windows XP and using USB 2.0

All give the $0101 when attempting a licence commit full flash.

What is the true problem here?
    www.EllweinEngines.com
    Personal cars:
    Customer cars:
    96 impala SS, LT1-399ci, 4L60E, BP Harness to 0411 PCM and 24x EFI Connection components
    95 impala SS, LT1-395ci, 4L60E, Re-Pinned stock harness to 0411 PCM and 24x EFI Connection components

Try this: go Start->All Programs->EFILive->V8->EFILive USB Manager and uninstall the driver, and install the driver with the older version.

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    Try this: go Start->All Programs->EFILive->V8->EFILive USB Manager and uninstall the driver, and install the driver with the older version.
    Thanks for the help joecar:
    I was able to find that file string and un-installed the latest driver and install the next to newest driver. Upon trying to flash the customer car I get the same $0101 message.

But new news here is I tried to read my 2003 Silverado truck and it worked flawlessly. So it's not a USB driver problem??????
    Why the code $0101 for one car and not the other?

thanks,
    Karl Ellwein
    www.EllweinEngines.com
    Personal cars:
    Customer cars:

What is your customer's vehicle...?

Lifetime Member

In your V8 software installation you'll find a full list of EFILive Error Codes contained under the HELP -> Documents menu.

In that document $0101 is listed as

USB cable is faulty or not connected. In rare circumstances the PC operating system or the EFILive software may be malfunctioning. In even rarer circumstances the FlashScan or AutoCal device’s USB circuitry may have been damaged. That damage occurs when the laptop is powered by a voltage inverter supplied from the vehicle’s battery. A power inverter must never be used to power the laptop while it is connected via FlashScan or AutoCal to the vehicle.

Check USB cables, plugs and connections. Try using a different USB port and/or different USB cable. Try rebooting the PC/laptop. Try using a self-powered USB hub between the PC/laptop and FlashScan or AutoCal. Try re-installing EFILive software

Given you have demonstrated that your EFILive software installation and hardware work on another supported vehicle, it would suggest that there is a communications problem in the vehicle.

Is the vehicle you are trying to tune supported?
    Can you please ensure the cigarette lighter in the vehicle is functioning (The OBDII connector uses the same power source, so if the cig fuse has blown, you won't be able to communicate with the vehicle)
    How are you connecting with the vehicle? Are you using V7 software in pass-through mode, V8 software, or are you using FlashScan/AutoCal in standalone mode?

Cheers
    Cindy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast