Thread: All 4 Flashscan A/D inputs on the fritz after firmware update

Default All 4 Flashscan A/D inputs on the fritz after firmware update

My A/D inputs were reading fine until I updated to the latest versions of Boot Block and Firmware (2.07.06 and 2.07.49 respectively). After the reflash, I noticed that my A/D inputs were reading crazy. I attempted to do a calibration using F5 in the EFILive Control Panel. I've done the cal before and know how to do it. I've got a lab power supply and use a Fluke to verify the voltages. Now after the update, my A/D counts on all channels max out at 200 at approximately 1.2 volts and will not go any higher. Basically, the A/D's work fine from 0 to 1.2 volts, but then stick at 200 even as voltage is raised above 1.2 volts. I've only calibrated channels 1 and 2 since I bought the unit. I've never even hooked anything up to 3 and 4 until today and that was just to see if they were acting the same way as 1 and 2. As I never had any problems prior to the update and I've never even calibrated or had voltage on channels 3 and 4, I have to suspect that this problem is tied to the Firmware update.

Thanks for any help,
    Jep

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Have you looked at the raw A/D counts displayed by the V8 EFILive Control Panel software? The raw counts should be about 200 counts around 1.25 Volts and about 700 counts around 4.25 Volts. Do you see the counts pegging above 1.2 volts?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ad.png 
Views:	238 
Size:	103.7 KB 
ID:	15883

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Default A/D counts

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
    Have you looked at the raw A/D counts displayed by the V8 EFILive Control Panel software? The raw counts should be about 200 counts around 1.25 Volts and about 700 counts around 4.25 Volts. Do you see the counts pegging above 1.2 volts?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ad.png 
Views:	238 
Size:	103.7 KB 
ID:	15883

Regards
    Paul
    Paul,

Thanks for the prompt response. A/D counts in the cal window in V8 rise to exactly 200 at approximately 1.2 - 1.25 VDC and do not rise any further as input voltage is raised to 5 VDC (this was tested individually on all channels and they all respond in the same way). Also, voltage displayed on the FlashScan V2 display pegs at 1.2 - 1.25 VDC (varies between channels) even as voltage is raised to 5 VDC. Voltage is being provided by a lab power supply with LCD voltage and current displays. Also, I'm using a Fluke meter as a second check against the power supply display. I did not experience any problems with channels 1 and 2 prior to the Firmware update. I can't comment on channels 3 and 4 prior to the update, as I had never used or tested them prior to experiencing issues with channels 1 and 2 after the Firmware update. I was using channels 1 and 2 for dual wideband inputs and had used these channels for wideband tuning without any issues prior to the Firmware update. After the Firmware update, I was doing some AutoVE tuning and was getting BEN map values that weren't making sense. Troubleshooting the weird BEN values led me to the problem with the A/D inputs.

Thanks,
    Jep

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

I've tested a FlashScan here with the same firmware and the A/D inputs work correctly. If the raw A/D counts are not getting up to around 700-800 at 5V then it is likely something has failed in the A/D hardware.
    It probably needs to be returned to EFILive or SoCal Diesel (EFILive's US based repair facility) for repair: https://www.efilive.com/distributors

The fact that all 4 A/D inputs have failed in the same way at the same time does make it appear like it is a firmware problem. However it may just be a configuration problem. Try clearing FlashScan's configuration using this technique: While FlashScan is powering up, hold down the F1 button. That will revert all the configuration data to factory defaults (excluding the A/D calibration values). When you do that the blue LED should flash to indicate that the settings are being erased and reset.

The unit I tested with here had the factory default settings. The settings that I am referring to are the ones you can edit/modify in the V8 [F6: Devices] window.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Default A/D input issues

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
    I've tested a FlashScan here with the same firmware and the A/D inputs work correctly. If the raw A/D counts are not getting up to around 700-800 at 5V then it is likely something has failed in the A/D hardware.
    It probably needs to be returned to EFILive or SoCal Diesel (EFILive's US based repair facility) for repair: https://www.efilive.com/distributors

The fact that all 4 A/D inputs have failed in the same way at the same time does make it appear like it is a firmware problem. However it may just be a configuration problem. Try clearing FlashScan's configuration using this technique: While FlashScan is powering up, hold down the F1 button. That will revert all the configuration data to factory defaults (excluding the A/D calibration values). When you do that the blue LED should flash to indicate that the settings are being erased and reset.

The unit I tested with here had the factory default settings. The settings that I am referring to are the ones you can edit/modify in the V8 [F6: Devices] window.

Regards
    Paul
    Thanks, Paul. I'll give that a shot and post up the results.

Jep