Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: fuel trims causing a VERY lean condition.

If your logworks are set up right and you're serial logging with a null modem adapter I'm unsure how it could be off. But I don't know sorry :(

Try switching the harnesses just to see if that's the issue. Those fuel trims are way off. When you are running OLSD, put your wideband in and see what it's showing even if it's not communicating with EFIlive. The car could be at 12:1 and running ok which is why your fuel trims are trying to pull 20%.

Looking at the log, the engine is running rich in OLSD, at least as far as the NB O2's are reporting. Interestingly, there is very little change in the NB O2 voltage with throttle movements which makes me think that either the O2's are bad, or there is a wiring fault that is messing up the signal. Given both NB O2's are reporting similar signals, I'm thinking it's a wiring fault. Who did the wiring for the O2's? Is there any chance that the heater and signal wires got swapped around?

Quote Originally Posted by swingtan View Post
    Looking at the log, the engine is running rich in OLSD, at least as far as the NB O2's are reporting. Interestingly, there is very little change in the NB O2 voltage with throttle movements which makes me think that either the O2's are bad, or there is a wiring fault that is messing up the signal. Given both NB O2's are reporting similar signals, I'm thinking it's a wiring fault. Who did the wiring for the O2's? Is there any chance that the heater and signal wires got swapped around?
    Ive never modified the harness, but I'll see if i can swap harnesses before i buy 2 sensors.
    | 2000 firebird | LQ4 | LS3 top end | 226/231 .600 .602 114 | TCI 3500 | 3" x-pipe under-axle | BMR everything |

I agree with swingtan, the NBO2 signals look wrong...

if the NBO2's were really reporting the rich level shown in the log, then you would be able to smell/see it in the exhaust.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Log_0000.png 
Views:	218 
Size:	160.1 KB 
ID:	15979

Lifetime Member

I see this same thing happening with one of my cars. At idle, my AFR is lean according to my wideband(s) and my trims are removing fuel (-20). B4105 (O2 Switch Point) all set to 450. Might the solution be to adjust the switch point at idle to match up with the wideband?

I'm about ready to forget about all of the MAFT, VE, & VET tuning, set my MAF values back to stock, disable VE, dial fueling in with the IFR, get the VE table close, & call it good.

You mean get the MAF close...?

How do you know the wideband is correct?

Your IFR and VE needs to be correct or it's going to be out of whack.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    You mean get the MAF close...?
    No. SSpdDmon had been playing with assuming the oem MAF values were correct and adjusting IFR to get AFR correct. He was just running pure MAF. I'd prefer to use both theMAF and VE table.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by picnic_george View Post
    How do you know the wideband is correct?

I'll be making some comparo's here soon. I have a Wideband Commander, LM-2, and now i have a new TechEdge 2J9 & LSU 4.9 sensor. As far as being out of whack, GM uses the same injector in multiple vehicles and the IFR values vary. Also, I'd bet you could take a bone stock LS car and if you were to do VE tuning or MAF tuning you would get values different from factory values. Check the GM IFR values against the IFR spread sheet, they aren't using that value. Look at the injector voltage offset tables for the same injector in different models and they make changes to them. All of that tells me this is not an exact science and GM fudges the values somewhat to get where they want to go. I wish I had installed a wideband in one of my cars before I made any modifications so I could have seen just how close they are getting the parameters oem. Maybe someone else has done it.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by picnic_george View Post
    And that's a real problem. Here's my stock Holden IFR table;

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stock_IFR.jpg 
Views:	317 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	16143

I downloaded stock tunes from the same OS from a Camaro and a Corvette. They're both different to mine and they're different to each other. Okay, they might be using different size injectors, but that doesn't help me much.

I suspect that my IFR table is wrong but haven't been able to work out what to do with it. Without pulling the injectors and bench testing them, is there any way to dial in the IFR table without putting some trust in the accuracy of the MAF?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast