Thread: Flashscan V2 unit dead upon startup

Default Flashscan V2 unit dead upon startup

So, I have been an EFILive user for several years - bought my first license almost 10 years ago when I lived in Georgia (in SoCal now). I used it to tune my C5 Corvette up to a few years ago and then upgraded to V2 when that came out while I was living in Indiana. I started it up once when I initiallly received it, did the conversion from the old unit, and then had to put it back in the box and leave it on the shelf until now because things got quite busy for me at work and in life in general. It powered up that first time and did the conversion without any problem so I figured I was good to go. Recently, I decided I wanted to dust off my tuning skills and tune my other C5 Corvette since I had never messed with the tune on that one and have enough mods for it to warrant a tune now. I also actually have the time to do it now, too.

So, I pulled out the V2 this weekend and it's so new I never even took the protective plastive off it. Well, I went through the first self test sequence to check it out (I realize now I should have done this when I first received it but I was ultra-busy at the time) and the three bottom, right keys on the keyboard do not register at all, so something is amiss with the keyboard hardware. I sent an email to the EFILive team and then talked to a Lorenzo onthe phone and he informed me that regardless of the lack of use, I am SOL to have my unit replaced - that they will charge me a repair fee (labor + parts) to get the unit working. Now, I would hope they would have offered me a swap with even a reconditioned unit to give me a working box but they are not up for that. I'm disappiointed that there was no offer at all to look at the unit and make at least some provision for replacement - it's obviously unused/pristine. This is not a money issue, the charge is reasonable and, Lord knows, I spend a lot more on my other toys and tools, etc, but it does bother me they are iin the nickel-and-dime-mode now compared to my past experiences with the company.

This is not a show-stopper for me, as luck would have it, since I also had bought HP Tuners when I bought the original EFILive package way back when so I could try both and ended up liking EFI better so I didn't do much with HPT, but I did hang on to it and actually kept it up to date as well. So, I guess now I will bid EFI farewell and convert to HPT and get familiar with it again. You know, I remember the support I used to get during those first several years I used EFI and it was definitely more personal and immediate than what I experienced today (I even had the original owners/developers call me from New Zealand to discuss issues I had at the time). I realize they are a bigger company now and need to watch the bottom line but I'm a definitely put off by the lack of any help whatsoever here. It's what set them apart from HPT initially, IMO.

Anyway, live and learn. Take care and happy tuning.

Signing off,

Patches

Are you sure those 3 keys don't work (I would not trust the self-test... the keypad test has been removed in later firmware version.

What is the current V2 firmware version (do this before you go any further).

Try this:
    - update to newest (dated 9/25/2013) V7 and V8 software;
    - use V8 EFILive Explorer (EE) to update your V2 bootblock and firmware;
    - use V8 Scan & Tune (S&T) to configure V2 BBx,
    - run a V2 BBL session (it uses those 3 keys), see if they really work or not.

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    Install the latest V7/V8 software builds, check here for the latest: Software-Updates-and-Installation-Help

Flash the latest bootblock/firmware into your V2.

Insert an SD card.

Configure BBx for your PCM or ECM/TCM:
    - start V8 Scan & Tune (S&T),
    - goto F6: Devices,
    - set File System to SD Card,
    - save to file Settings.dat,
    - click Program,
    - click Close,
    - goto F5: BBX,
    - click Format Config File System (accessed via downarrow next to Program button),
    - goto Scan page (see Note below),
    - in the blue pane delete pidlists for ECM's other than yours
    - in the blue pane you can add new pidlists for your ECM,
    - each pidlist in the blue pane can have a number of pids in the green pane (to which you can add pids from the yellow pane),
    - at the bottom of the green pane is a bargraph showing pid usage, do not let this turn red (too many pids selected),
    - goto Tune page,
    - delete any ECM's other than yours,
    - goto DTC page,
    - checkmark the DTC descriptions you want to see,
    - save to file Options.txt,
    - click Program All (accessed via downarrow next to Program button), wait for it to finish,
    - click Close,
    - goto F8:Tools,
    - in the upper box browse to your .tun files, and click Convert Now,
    - click Close,
    - exit V8 S&T.

Note: on the Scan page, the right-hand pane is yellow, the upper-left pane is blue, and the lower-left pane may be green or blue (depending on V8 build version).

Three keys don't work in any mode - even outside of the self-test mode. They are completely non-responsive regardless of where in the menu I am. Also, V8 does not recognize my FlashScan V2 but V7.5 does when I have it attached to my system via the USB. V7.5 will read the correct serial number and number of licenses but V8 does not see the unit at all.