Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help! Strange Problem - Modified tune - no change in engine

ive changed the tune a little bit for you fella, i did not find the settings that i would have liked too, as you say its very limited as too what you can do with it.
    i would like you too give it a go though.

Main thing i seen was that it was not set right for SD mode (P0101) (P0102) (P0103).
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Extinct View Post
    I know all about the 411 swap, I wasn't interested in doing that much work. Truck is running regular fuel. You know, after looking at the Tune file parameters for several days it's clear EFILive just sort of did the bare minimum on getting parameters for this ECM. There isn't a single temperature compensation parameter available, yet I know they have to exist, hell even my MEFI on my boat has those and it's an old aldl stream. Really disappointing, especially considering the shear number of these vehicles on the road...
    Your right! Sort of... there is not even bare minimum of parameters to do a tune even on a stock motor. I tried very hard to make some of the tutorials work with the 98-00 Vortec PCM as well. The only reason I got as far as I did was because I also have TunerCat OBDII, which has most of the simple missing parameters needed to do a basic tune.

There is a dissasembly publicly available for this PCM so things could be added via a CAX file. But after weeks of work to get some of the Auto Tune, VE etc... tutorials to work and even handing the hex locations needed to EFI Live on a silver platter, they were not interested in updating this PCM to a point of acceptable of the EFI Live reputation and workable for a tune. Seriously I had over 100 hours into this project when I first got EFI Live! Should have got a great reception and I still don't understand why there was absolutely no support or interest! So I gave up and did the 0411 swap on my truck and usually run my RoadRunner just so I can constantly play and learn.

Worst part about that is I've had more 96 to 2000 Vortec work in the last year because of TunerCat OBDII software, way more then all other OBDII vehicles combined.. If EFI Live worked with the Vortec like how well it does with LS1 b and others? It would be much easier to only have to run one software...

Part of your issue may also be using the EFI Live Scan tool for Commanded AFR. It is wrong! You have to use PID GM.AFR_B which is for a LS2 engine. But if you use Scan XL Pro the proper PID GM.AFR does work. If I remember properly there was also no way to fail MAF and be able to turn off transmission DTCs at that time. So running SD tune tutorial was also out of the question.

Just give up! I think the only reason the 98-00 Vortec is listed is to keep score with competition? Even if it were a free license it would not be worth using. Can't even do a full flash on these PCM if you want to change OS for segment swaps.

I'd like to end that bash there though because EFI Live, this forum and especially joecar is far superior to any other tuning tools!

OK, so I am back on this now after doing some tuning. BEN factor seems way off, so I grabbed some data. GM.AFR_B does not work at all, but GM.AFR seems to have some sort of correlation although the units are apparently way off (WTF?). I think I could use that if I could get the units in range as it seems to have a pretty good correlation just eyeballing the graph - but why are the units off? Also, I tried to modify the BEN factor by multipling the GM.AFR by 97 (target AFR divided by GM.AFR for one range of data I was confident in), but for some reason did not load the modified calc.pids.txt (located in C:\Program Files (x86)\EFILive\V7.5\Installation Defaults\User Configuration) -anyone have any idea why that is?

Attached is the last log file I ran for reference.

Log_0021.efi

calc_pids.txt should be in My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\User Configuration.

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    calc_pids.txt should be in My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\User Configuration.
    Thanks, that helps.

Well this is just bizarre. Went out today, made sure the backup VE table and primary VE table were the same (in the columns where they matched), and still almost no change or if anything it went the other direction. I am trying to lean out the mixture, but modifying the VE table seems to have no effect. The MAF and O2 sensors are disconnected, so I know that can't be influencing the PCM (data confirms as well), the IAT, ECT, and TPS seem to be working fine, so why won't this thing lean out???? I've got as much airflow in the VE table at 30kpa as I do at 85 - but it still runs fat! What the helll?

I would welcome any insight anyone could give (tune and log attached).

Thanks

Tim
    Attached Files Attached Files

Are you getting a MAF DTC...? If not, then the PCM is still trying to use the MAF table (even with MAF disconnected).

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    Are you getting a MAF DTC...? If not, then the PCM is still trying to use the MAF table (even with MAF disconnected).
    I have the MAF sensor MIL turned off, so no MIL indicator. Looking at the log file there is not DTC so I guess it isn't looking for it anymore.

Lifetime Member

I do not know the workings of the Blackbox Vortec PCM very well ... you may have to fail both the MAF & the O2s to get it to run off the Backup VE table.

Try the attached tune ... it should cause the PCM to fail the MAF and the O2s ... rather than perhaps just moving on to some unknown mode.

After you flash this tune, then try adjusting the Backup VE table to see if there is any change - unlike the current strange situation.

Quick update - screen shot showing data from yesterday. Very strange that the VE tables don't seem to affect anything in idle or low load conditions - however I did do a test on a later log where I hit WOT - instantly went to the target AFR of 12.8. I am not sure what is driving the variation in AFR as the VE tables cannot be this far off (bone stock Tahoe except for shorty headers).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tahoe screenshot.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	124.4 KB 
ID:	16266Log of pre-cax file.efi

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123