Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3bar COS only logging to 255kpa

Lifetime Member

I think that's going to be your only bet, just because it's a 3 Bar MAP doesnt mean the PCM can see the whole range. There are hardcoded limits (like the 255kPa limit you found) that you cannot get around, the PCM will never be able to see it. If you HAVE to have it, you're going to need to scale everything and get creative on how to display everything. FWIW, I see this being a huge can of worms and would not suggest it, likely way more headache.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 View Post
    I think that's going to be your only bet, just because it's a 3 Bar MAP doesnt mean the PCM can see the whole range. There are hardcoded limits (like the 255kPa limit you found) that you cannot get around, the PCM will never be able to see it. If you HAVE to have it, you're going to need to scale everything and get creative on how to display everything. FWIW, I see this being a huge can of worms and would not suggest it, likely way more headache.
    If someone can help me build a custom pid I would just like to at least be able to log to the end of the map sensor voltage.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 View Post
    this isn't completely true. The SAE pid is limited to reporting up to 255 as it is one byte(0-255). I believe the ecm can read in and perform math with up to 285.

Is raw MAP voltage available as a scan tool item?

If not you could run the map sensor into one of the analog in's on the V2- and scale it from there.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by RADustin View Post
    this isn't completely true. The SAE pid is limited to reporting up to 255 as it is one byte(0-255). I believe the ecm can read in and perform math with up to 285.

Is raw MAP voltage available as a scan tool item?

If not you could run the map sensor into one of the analog in's on the V2- and scale it from there.
    Hmmm interesting, I figured that 0-255 range = 256 unique values or 2^8 applied to both the PID and what the PCM/ECM can do. Be interested to know, even more so if this changes per ECM/PCM...
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Lifetime Member

its the way the packets come across the data lines. It doesn't have to do with internal PCM processing.

What controller are you working with? The LS1 has a PID called 'GM.MAPBOOST_DMA', that will read past 255kPa. If you are talking later model ECM's (E40, E38 etc) then forget it, the ECM's internal calculations do not allow past 255kPa.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Lifetime Member

Simple

Create a custom PID with your sensor's equation and log map.voltage and custom convert.... also log VE table dma and you will know where you are .
    "All that is needed for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing..."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12