Thread: Have I bricked my LB7 ECM?

Default Have I bricked my LB7 ECM?

I purchased EFI Live V2 scan/tune a few months ago, but did not intend to do any DSP5 tuning at the time. So, I used it on my 2002 LB7 Duramax to read the ECM, and then update my speedometer for my larger tires, and to disable the VATS. I've been driving it for a couple months since then, and all has been well. Recently I decided to try to upgrade to the DSP5 OS, just to check it out with only my stock tunes. So, I followed the upgrade instructions, and everything seemed to go well right to the end of the full flash. It said it completed successfully, but when it did the ECM reset, the SES light started flashing really fast, and the VOLT meter was flickering, and the several relays under the hood were all clicking at the same fast pace. I turned the key off and waited, hoping that when I turned it back on it would be normal, but no, same thing. So I tried to reflash my stock tune, and when it does that, it starts the script, but then before it ever starts tuning, I get the $0101 lost communication with the ECM error. Everyone I've talked to says that sounds like dead batteries, or not enough fuses pulled, or blown fuses. So, I've checked all of that, including trying the reflash with the charger hooked up on a low amperage, but it's always the same. In searching, I've found a couple of instances that were almost identical, but the thread went dead, or it seemed like they ended up with a new ECM. I just don't get it. I can still connect to the ECM, and the V2 will read the VIN, and OS version, but the confounded flickering (or surging) won't let it stay connected to do the flash. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

The truck will not start, correct?
    Michael, Systems Engineer 04.5 D-max LLY, Phoenix, Arizona Email
    Custom Tuning Services
    DURAMAX/CUMMINS ECM's TCM's for sale, all years, 20% wholesale discount available
    EFILive's first VGT "Software Wastegate Tune"

That is correct. Sorry for the slow reply. I was told yesterday it was because of the OS version I had, and someone has offered to bench flash it for me, so I'm sending it to them. Hopefully that will get me back going. Thanks!

Had that problem code yesterday on an lly. Ended up pulling all head light, park light, radio, radio amp, info fuses along with the radio itself. Also unhooked aftermarket alarm just to get it to take a flash.

The old non CAN vehicles are very susceptible to reflash failures due to modules not behaving themselves on the communications bus. In fact if you have ever used GM's TIS service it will often say please remove fuses 'x', 'y' & 'z' before programming.
    LLY is probably the worst one for this, though having said that when we added LLY support we had access to a dead stock truck and with a lot of effort we managed to get it to flash without the need to remove any fuses. But, it only takes one module to misbehave and its all over.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

If you have any after market stuff that will cause headaches as well so it would be wise to start pulling fuses...
    2004 GMC SLT LB7 CC Shortbed with Ranchhand Grill Guard; 273k+ miles
    4 KC off road light, Century Topper
    Hammer 4 Train Horns and Conductors Special at 150psi ; Westin Nurf Bars HypertechIII Powered 6.6 Dmax; Amsoil bypass filters & Amsoil in oil and tranny;Nicktane Fuel Filter, Scangauge II,Fumoto Valve, Active XM and Onstar,Protected by Viper and Tuned by EFI Live