Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: v2 won't run on laptop usb power only

Default v2 won't run on laptop usb power only

Hey all,

My v2 works great but with my new laptop cannot be recognized even if the laptop is plugged in to AC power.
    v2 works fine when connected to vehicle or desktop pc but obv have some needs to get connection when not (like saving an autocal file).

Saw a mention of an external powered usb port, any suggestions? I'm going to dig through the bios but I'm sure its some power saving settings cutting me off. Any other ideas?

Mike, this is usually when the drivers are not installed and the PC doesn't supply full power to the USB port.
    See if this link helps.
    http://support.efilive.com/kb_articl...9411-UHZV-3143
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Thank you for the reply, the drivers are installed and the v2 communicates when on vehicle power. I just purchased a AC powered usb hub hopefully that will do the trick will post with update.

You shouldn't need to do any of that Mike, does the laptop have several USB ports? If so do they all exhibit the same problem?
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

It has 2, they both do it. One seems lower voltage than the other as the v2 screen is very dim and sometimes will not boot on that side (needs a few plug/unplug). The good side can sometimes connect for a second, long enough to show up in one of the various apps but they will freeze when trying to communicate with the v2 until I unplug it. The v8 applications must not have a time out procedure if they think they are connected yet do not receive data.

It really seems like a power supply issue, you can see the v2 screen is very dim compared to when it is on the desktop usb or vehicle 12v. The laptop runs for 8+ hours of constant use, they cut power usage across the board to meet new Intel standards.

UPDATE: $4.89 shipped solved my problem, powered usb hub
    ebay link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/221264418264...84.m1497.l2649

It was low power coming off the computer for sure.

Hmmm, something wrong with your PC.

Thanks for the update (I like cheap solutions)

Problem is its the ultrathin ultramodern 2013 model. Total weight 2.9 lbs. Its basically a cell phone, ha! But they must have the amperage cranked very low because I've been using it for a week and it really does last an entire day of use without a charge. 7-10 hours of actual running time but I just close it when not using it so that extends those numbers obv. Touch screen is nice for EFILive, larger than my last tablet/convertible and a bit easier to touch but feels like I should be running in a lower resolution for some of the buttons because they display quite small. That is universal though, not an EFILive issue.

I see, PC is managing power to extreme.

I would imagine there would be a setting in Windows to fix this, if it is only supplying low power to the USB ports then I would suspect most external USB hard disks wouldn't work either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast