Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Autocal Unlink

We do autocal unlinking with no questions asked and no money exchanged. I can't quite understand why a tuner would have as much pride as to not unlink a unit.... Most the time folks are just curious about what else is out there. I have unlinked around 10 to date... Not 1 out of those 10 were because anything ran bad or the customer was unhappy... They were simply curious as to what else was out there. Heck, I would be the same way as a consumer I'm sure, I cant even go to the gas station without buying the newest energy drink on the shelf!

Lol, just my .02
    -Kory

I'm out of ideas? Nah trick... When in doubt, 0xFFFF it out!

http://www.PPEI.com/

It seems like an 'Unlink and delete all files' feature would be win-win for everyone in this situation. No mailing, no hurt feelings, no bullshit.

I'll vote yes.

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by vortecfcar View Post
    It seems like an 'Unlink and delete all files' feature would be win-win for everyone in this situation. No mailing, no hurt feelings, no bullshit.

I'll vote yes.

Nick
    My vote as well!
    -Kory

That would cure the issues and stop pissing people off!

So if my vote counts? Yes!

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

What Cindy said in post #10 sums up EFILive's position.

I can only add that we have sold thousands of AutoCals to many, many tuners all with the exact same agreement, that once the AutoCals are linked only the tuner who linked them can provide tunes for them. We cannot (legally) change the rules that were in place when tuners purchased their AutoCals. We did make one concession after-the-fact and that was to allow AutoCals to be unlinked at all - with the restriction that only the original tuner could make the decision to unlink the AutoCals.

If a tuner is unable to perform the actual unlink process (i.e. they might be out of business, or no longer have access to their FlashScan device) but the tuner is OK with the AutoCal being unlinked, EFILive will unlink them on behalf of a tuner, so long as the tuner gives EFILive permission to do so. If the tuner refuses to allow the AutoCal to be unlinked then there's nothing EFILive can do about it. It is the tuner's right to make that decision.

I understand that for some tuners and even some customers it seems like a crying shame that they can't use their existing AutoCal device that was obtained from another tuner who is either no longer contactable or just plain unwilling to unlink the AutoCal. However, that is the agreement under which AutoCals have been sold to tuners, we can't change that now.

There may be alternate strategies to linking put in place when FlashScan V3 is released but no decisions about that have been made yet, nor will be for a while.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Well said Paul, I issue AutoCals and if anyone wants to have it unlinked all they needed to do is ask. I think people have forgotten that when Autocal was originally released, there was no facility to unlink at all.

Paul,

What about an additional check box when the Autocal is first linked that allows the original tuner to set it for remote "UNLINKING".

Then the original tuner can choose whether or not they set it up that way from the start.

If everyone here is in agreement and nobody here feels the need to keep them locked down to their V2 then what is the legal problem going forward.

Cannot EFI-Live change their policy going forward as many companies do and not have to make it backwards compatible ????

Just a suggestion.
    www.mscservices.net

Tuner of many, many Duramax and Cummins Diesels.

I always laugh at guys that lock their tunes. Frankly what is there to hide. If the customer goes elsewhere it's for a reason. As for intellectual property, please. Over 90% of a tune remains GM spec. We all rip off GM's work which is locked too but are provided the keys to get into it. I've also heard the warranty excuses if another tuner grenades a motor. Again this could happen to a dealership too but that's ok is it.

When it comes down to it if a tune is good the customer won't go elsewhere. Plus any so called secret data in there can easily be logged and generated into a MAP.

My opinion. But only tuners with something to hide lock their work.

Quote Originally Posted by macca_779 View Post
    I always laugh at guys that lock their tunes. Frankly what is there to hide. If the customer goes elsewhere it's for a reason. As for intellectual property, please. Over 90% of a tune remains GM spec. We all rip off GM's work which is locked too but are provided the keys to get into it. I've also heard the warranty excuses if another tuner grenades a motor. Again this could happen to a dealership too but that's ok is it.

When it comes down to it if a tune is good the customer won't go elsewhere. Plus any so called secret data in there can easily be logged and generated into a MAP.

My opinion. But only tuners with something to hide lock their work.
    Sorry, your wrong. I for 1 have nothing to hide, but have had my tunes come back to me as stolen many many times. Why? Because before I locked them, it really sucked to find out someone you sold tunes to was reselling them and not giving you any cut off your hard work. I am more than open to explain everything in the tunes I send, however, unlocked and open platform isn't happening.

Let's use the newly supported LML for instance... My files do things that others can't because I wrote the .cax files into it to do so... If that was to get into the wrong hands, then my 20k+ worth of investments (3rd party tools) on how to do what I do then becomes completely taken advantage of.

There is another way of looking at why at least I lock my tunes.
    -Kory

But that's exactly what we all do to GM

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast