Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Autocal Unlink

Quote Originally Posted by macca_779 View Post
    But that's exactly what we all do to GM
    And GM does what they can to protect their work and it gets hacked. So as GM, I will at least protect my work so that when it does get hacked, I can at least say I tried.
    -Kory

I'm out of ideas? Nah trick... When in doubt, 0xFFFF it out!

http://www.PPEI.com/

Quote Originally Posted by macca_779 View Post
    But that's exactly what we all do to GM
    But what can be learned from a stock tune ??? NOTHING, but as Kory stated he has invested $20K and countless hours to get his tunes where they are as many of us have.

Why would we give that away by not locking our work ???

If your so confident that your tunes are so great and people are so honest as to not want to profit easily from your hard work then you have nothing to worry about as far as theft.

My suggestion is then post them all up so we can all have a copy, after all you have nothing to worry about...............RIGHT.

If you don't post up all your tunes with a description then you proved our point.
    www.mscservices.net

Tuner of many, many Duramax and Cummins Diesels.

Lifetime Member

And the annual "why would anyone need to lock their tune thread starts"

It's always the same....different markets value different features, and for our diesel customers locking is a significant feature that is used extensively. Gas is a different story, it's used on a far lesser scale and in some cases even frowned upon. My guess is that for every 10 diesel tunes that get locked there would be maybe 2 locked for gas.

Cheers
    Cindy
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Locking tunes also keeps your liability down. That way a customer cannot get into the tune and decide, "lets see what 40 degrees of timing does" and then blames the original tuner when their bottom end becomes a can of marbles. Every tune I send out is locked except for our starter tune that we give away with V2 purchases which has only minimal changes. In the diesel world there is a thief around every corner and I have seen my work come back many times as well. I have no problem unlinking autocals, but once they are unlinked they do not get re-linked. Too many instances of tuner remorse.

Anarchy Diesel Tuning/ Advanced Injection Diesel Technologies
    EFI Live Cummins Beta Tester
    Duramax and Cummins Tuning
    423-506-7427

Locking tunes is fine and I use quite often, as others stated it keeps from wondering eyes making money off your hard work. Locking controllers is what I dont agree with. I should be able to locally flash a truck if the customer bought a truck already with duramax tuner ecm. I Sold him some parts but Nick said $300 to unlock it which is crap.

In case your confused, you can lock all the tune files you want.........you can put the restrictions on the tuning file and all someone has to do is read out the "CANNOT BE READ OR MODIFIED" tune you just permission restricted and they have the copy of the tune.

So locking the controller is the only way to secure the file.

Autolocking controllers for E54 and E60 solves the issue you are experiencing, why anyone would want $300 to unlock it is beyond me, unless they are not selling many ecms and want to make some $$$$$ by unlocking them.
    www.mscservices.net

Tuner of many, many Duramax and Cummins Diesels.

I would like to unlink my autocal that I purchased from ATP trucks

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123