Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Autocal bootblock/firmware upgrade bricked the device

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

The more information that you provide through the help desk, The faster the support turnaround will be.
    I only check this forum once or twice a day and I simply don't see most messages that I have not already posted in. The help desk tickets are constantly updated, as soon as you post a message in your ticket it shows up in my email instantly (if its been allocated to me).

The help desk tickets are still handled by the same people that previously answered questions via email and via this forum. Its just that now that the volume of users and therefor support, has grown so much over the past 12 months that to manage it effectively we need to use the help desk system. The help desk system allows us to query what issues are outstanding and what issues have been or are being handled by someone else. It prevents issues from being forgotten and it allows us to easily look up how many people are being affected by the same or similar issues.

All issues logged via the help desk take priority over anything on the forum or anything sent via email, so if you want faster turnaround, use the help desk. That's where our support resources are focused.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Quote Originally Posted by nativesun1979 View Post
    Paul, I can do all that, but the real issue is going to be turnaround time for support as I move in two weeks and must have this fixed before then.
    Given that I have very little info to work with (which is why it is always a good idea to log a help desk request and supply all the info in the first place), I can try and offer one suggestion...

If you are logging a vehicle with an automatic transmission, say an E38 and T43 combo, and your BBL PIDs are set up to include both the E38 and T43 controllers, but if you only have ECM PIDs selected or only have TCM PIDs selected, then no data will be logged because whichever controller has no PIDs selected for it will never transmit any data and each frame of data is only recorded by FlashScan/AutoCal when both controllers have sent a complete frame.

So if you are only logging ECM PIDs, then unselect the T43 TCM and if you're only logging TCM PIDs, then unselect the E38 ECM. The same goes for any ECM/TCM combo.

Regards
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
    Given that I have very little info to work with (which is why it is always a good idea to log a help desk request and supply all the info in the first place), I can try and offer one suggestion...

If you are logging a vehicle with an automatic transmission, say an E38 and T43 combo, and your BBL PIDs are set up to include both the E38 and T43 controllers, but if you only have ECM PIDs selected or only have TCM PIDs selected, then no data will be logged because whichever controller has no PIDs selected for it will never transmit any data and each frame of data is only recorded by FlashScan/AutoCal when both controllers have sent a complete frame.

So if you are only logging ECM PIDs, then unselect the T43 TCM and if you're only logging TCM PIDs, then unselect the E38 ECM. The same goes for any ECM/TCM combo.

Regards
    Paul

Paul... The way I typically set up my pid sets up I ONLY log the ECM and never the trans, However I do have the SERIAL WIDEBAND pids logged (or at least selected)

in my config file. In this case, the serial pids are not being used, but they are there in his config.

Every config I send out has the serial pids selected, but most people have no use for them.

Could this be what's causing the problem with the latest release?

Chuck CoW
    CoW BOOSTER! Electronic Throttle Enhancement.

- CLICK HERE NOW FOR MORE INFORMATION! -

VARARAM, EDELBROCK, AMERICAN RACING HEADERS, BAER BRAKES, BORLA, EFI Live, Magnuson,
    COMP Cams, PROCHARGER, PRO TORQUE, PHADT Racing, INNOVATORS WEST, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck CoW View Post
    Paul... The way I typically set up my pid sets up I ONLY log the ECM and never the trans, However I do have the SERIAL WIDEBAND pids logged (or at least selected)

in my config file. In this case, the serial pids are not being used, but they are there in his config.

Every config I send out has the serial pids selected, but most people have no use for them.

Could this be what's causing the problem with the latest release?

Chuck CoW
    No, the serial wideband PIDs can be selected or not it should not make any difference.

Regards
    Paul

No, the serial wideband PIDs can be selected or not it should not make any difference.

Regards
    Paul
    So, you think this could only happen if pids were selected from 2 controllers at the same time?

I'm assuming that this is something new?

I can't see the device behavior from here and I've got sever people sending logs with current software and what I believe to be

identical config files.

What can we do to test this futher? Narrow down the pid list to only a few simple ones?

Thanks
    Chuck CoW

VARARAM, EDELBROCK, AMERICAN RACING HEADERS, BAER BRAKES, BORLA, EFI Live, Magnuson,

Let me know what needs to be done to try to fix this. I'm free for the next four days before I'm back at work.

So, you think this could only happen if pids were selected from 2 controllers at the same time?

I'm assuming that this is something new?

I can't see the device behavior from here and I've got sever people sending logs with current software and what I believe to be

identical config files.

What can we do to test this futher? Narrow down the pid list to only a few simple ones?

Thanks
    Chuck CoW

Using the BBX (F5) from the V8 software, you can open the scan settings and de-select some of the pids (maybe half of them) and save the config

with a new name like configtest and then program it. Attempt to create a datalog and see what happens.

Try to stick to simple sae generic pids like MAP, RPM, KR, ETC, TP, HO2S11, and ones like that.

Let me know how it works.

Chuck CoW

No not that. What I was saying was that if you have two controllers selected (i.e. an E38 and a T43) but you only have PIDs from the E38 selected and zero PIDs from the T43 selected then it won't log.

That is because when the logging starts, the FlashScan/AutoCal firmware collects data from both controllers, because no PIDs are sleeted for the T43, then no data is ever received from the T43 and the firmware waits forever for data from the T43 regardless of how much data the E38 send back.

The solution is to select both controllers only if you also select at least one PID from each of those controllers.

If you only want to log E38 PIDs, then only select the E38 controller, and not both the E38 and T43 controllers.

Regards
    Paul

Using the BBX (F5) from the V8 software, you can open the scan settings and de-select some of the pids (maybe half of them) and save the config

with a new name like configtest and then program it. Attempt to create a datalog and see what happens.

Try to stick to simple sae generic pids like MAP, RPM, KR, ETC, TP, HO2S11, and ones like that.

Let me know how it works.

Chuck CoW
    ^^^ This plus make sure you only have the E38 selected.

This first image shows the correct way to select controllers for logging the E38 only
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bbx_ok.PNG 
Views:	233 
Size:	184.4 KB 
ID:	16165

This second image shows the wrong way to select controllers for logging the E38 only

Name:	bbx_not_ok.PNG 
Size:	174.0 KB 
ID:	16166

Regards
    Paul

^^^ This plus make sure you only have the E38 selected.

This first image shows the correct way to select controllers for logging the E38 only

Name:	bbx_ok.PNG 
Size:	184.4 KB 
ID:	16165

This second image shows the wrong way to select controllers for logging the E38 only

Name:	bbx_not_ok.PNG 
Size:	174.0 KB 
ID:	16166

Regards
    Paul

Ok, cool.... Thanks for the heads up. If he has not done this by monday I'll give it a try with him.

Thanks!
    Chuck CoW

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast