Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LML .cax file

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default LML .cax file

Can anyone offer any input or direction on how to create a .cax file for the LML E86 ECM??

Looking to try and add the tables for emission deletes so that I can start tuning my truck through EFI instead of MCC.

thanks!

Chris
    2011 GMC DENALI LML - 4" AFE EXHAUST - AFE INTAKE - FASS TITANIUM 150GPH - 33X12.5X20 MICKEY THOMPSON BAJA ATZ - AMP POWER STEPS
    EFI LIVE BY KORY WILLIS / PPEI 461RWHP & 865FT/LBS TQ (11-16-13) STOCK FUEL AND TURBO
    MCC BY COKANE 499.7RWHP & 895FT/LBS TQ STOCK FUEL AND TURBO (11-16-13)

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Attached is a template for creating a *.cax file. The template only shows you the format of the *.cax file. You will need to supply any address and formatting data to define the calibrations that you wish to include in the *.cax file.

Regards
    Paul
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Thank you Paul! I'm going to attempt to get started on it this weekend after thanksgiving. Is there any other advice or direction that can be offered? I've used the EFI LIVE software for about a year now tuning all the duramax engines as well as the 5.9 and 6.7 cummins motors. The MCC software has served its purpose for allowing me to tap into the ECM of my LML, but I would like to do this thru the EFI software that I'm more familiar with.

Are any 3rd party tools or software needed? in another post on this forum, RIDGERUNNER diesel talks about needing these to tap into the raw binary hex files and what not....

Thanks again,

Chris
    2011 GMC DENALI LML - 4" AFE EXHAUST - AFE INTAKE - FASS TITANIUM 150GPH - 33X12.5X20 MICKEY THOMPSON BAJA ATZ - AMP POWER STEPS
    EFI LIVE BY KORY WILLIS / PPEI 461RWHP & 865FT/LBS TQ (11-16-13) STOCK FUEL AND TURBO

If you don't have information from some other source about the address of a calibration map and its format, layout and storage units, then its going to be almost impossible to set up a *.cax file. So really unless you already know where in the ECM the calibrations are that you want to modify I really don't recommend trying to set up a *.cax file.

There are no safeguards built into the *.cax files. *.cax files are designed for use by people that have had lots of experience editing ECM calibrations by hand (hex editor) and/or using OEM tools that show the address and layout of the calibrations. If you just set up a random calibration definitions in a *.cax file without knowning what the underlying data in the ECM is used for, you will end up making random changes to the ECM. Don't ever do that, you may as well just hit the ECM with a hammer for all the good that will do, it will only ever result in faults, failures and most likely damage to your engine and/or trans.

As for third party tools, I don't think there are any that will help you set up calibrations for the LML, There is a JTAG/debug type device (expensive, about $10K I think) that can be used to pull the tune out of the LML but that requires taking the LML controller apart and attaching the tool directly to the ECM's circuit board. I don't know where you can buy that tool.

Regards
    Paul

So if I already have the stock file in EFI LIVE format on my laptop, I wouldn't need the 3rd party tools to "pull the tune out of the LML".
    Using the navigator_E86 file, and the stock tune file I acquired I should be able to format the *.cax file with the correct calibrations....right? can a snap-on SOLUS or GM tech-ii help with the unidentified rows, columns, segments of the dpf and def? or can I use LMM calibration files to help me set these tables??

Quote Originally Posted by cokane1 View Post
    So if I already have the stock file in EFI LIVE format on my laptop, I wouldn't need the 3rd party tools to "pull the tune out of the LML".
    Correct

Using the navigator_E86 file, and the stock tune file I acquired I should be able to format the *.cax file with the correct calibrations....right?
    No, the only thing the navigator file would help you with is the names of the tree branches where you want the calibration names (that you are defining) to show up in the EFILive software.

can a snap-on SOLUS or GM tech-ii help with the unidentified rows, columns, segments of the dpf and def?
    No

or can I use LMM calibration files to help me set these tables??
    No, the LMM calibration files are encrypted and their content is not made available to anyone outside of EFILive.

If you had some other editing software that allowed you to see where tables were stored and how they were formatted (i.e. OEM tuning tools, which unfortunately are not available outside of GM and its partners) then that would help. If you read between the lines what I'm saying is unless you have access to the appropriate data or you're a GM factory calibrator (or a close GM partner with access to GM factory calibrations), then you're chances of doing what you want to do are pretty much zero.

You need to either already know the calibration information or be able to source that information from somewhere, or spend years and years disassembling the ECM software to find out where the tables are. It is not a trivial job and EFILive has spent thousands of man hours doing just that for many controllers.

*.cax files were included in the software to allow tuning companies who already have access to GM editing software and who already have the definitions for the calibrations in the ECM to be able to define those calibrations so that they appear in the EFILive software.

Regards
    Paul

Using the navigator_E86 file, and the stock tune file I acquired I should be able to format the *.cax file with the correct calibrations....right? can a snap-on SOLUS or GM tech-ii help with the unidentified rows, columns, segments of the dpf and def? or can I use LMM calibration files to help me set these tables??
    What Paul is saying is that to do-it-yourself you would have to disassemble the flash contents, you have to dig thru the huge disassembly listing finding all references to what looks like tables, consider all the possible interpretations/dimensions/wordsize of each table, possibly run an emulator/simulator to exercise the binary executable while watching where/how the table accesses occur in flash/memory... i.e. you basically have to be an advanced level embedded programmer experienced with the particular CPU used by this particular ECM... just to get started you're looking at several years worth of experience, not to mention the tools (which cost way more than a Solus and Tech-II combined).

Thank you for the information. I guess i'm left with asking just one question then, how does a efi live customer like myself who does their own tuning write a tune for their truck that has the emissions deleted? I understand there are EPA agreements in place and what not, but I also understand that there are several "big name" tuners that are doing the tunes with deletes and marketing them to be tuned onto non highway trucks only. Ex. sled pullers and race trucks. I do pull a sled on the weekends during the summer and that's where I'd like to be able to do this like they are.

Not trying to be a pain in the @$$, I'm just trying to acquire as much knowledge as I can about the EFI LIVE software and its ability to be used to tune the LML ecm.

Thank you for the information. I guess i'm left with asking just one question then, how does a efi live customer like myself who does their own tuning write a tune for their truck that has the emissions deleted? I understand there are EPA agreements in place and what not, but I also understand that there are several "big name" tuners that are doing the tunes with deletes and marketing them to be tuned onto non highway trucks only. Ex. sled pullers and race trucks. I do pull a sled on the weekends during the summer and that's where I'd like to be able to do this like they are.

Not trying to be a pain in the @$$, I'm just trying to acquire as much knowledge as I can about the EFI LIVE software and its ability to be used to tune the LML ecm.
    In short, you're not going to find that answer here.. and for obvious reasons.

Those other tuners have already done the work of digging in and finding those parameters (in hex, with expensive 3rd party software) for removal of the DPF.
    2011 Chevy 2500HD LML 4x4 LTZ-Black
    -H&S Mini Maxx | MBRP 5" w/Muffler | 4" Rancho Lift | BMF REPR 20x9 DM | Mickey Thompson ATZ P3's 35/12.50's.

2012 VW Jetta TDI - Daily Driver.

SOLD - 06 LBZ

EcoDieselRam Forum

I had written out a reply and then accidentally deleted it before I posted it, I'll try and remember what I wrote and re-write it again...

I know you already realize this, which is why you're asking the questions, but I'm just re-stating it here so that others reading the thread understand also: If your truck already has the DPF deleted, then you would need to read that file from your truck (using expensive third party hardware) prior to editing/reflashing it with EFILive. If you used a stock file to flash over your DPF tune then your DPF delete option will be "undeleted". Or maybe you could try and find someone that has the equipment (I know some of our customers do have access to that equipment) and send them your ECM and get them to read out the modified file from your ECM and send it back to you so you can continue working on it.

Unfortunately the EFILive software does not include any EGR/DPF delete options for the LML. So if you obtained a stock file you would still not be able to apply any DPF delete options. Hence the second part of your question about setting up a *.cax file so that you could re-apply the DPF delete that your truck already has and then continue working with EFILive.

EFILive does not have any agreements or arrangements with the EPA, our legal position is stated here: http://www.efilive.com/legal.

Regards
    Paul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast