Thread: Performance Magazine Opinion

Default Performance Magazine Opinion

I am hoping that you guys can help me. I have to write a white paper on the changing magazine industry. During a recent Kentucky visit to the Corvette Museum with my husband, I was impressed with the marketing insight of Zora Arkus-Duntou. His 50’s memo, "Thoughts Pertaining to Youth, Hot Rodders and Chevrolet," convinced Chevy to develop racing accessories and recreate the company’s performance image. Zora noticed many brand-new magazines on hopping up cars (mostly Fords) and advertising aftermarket performance parts. He warned that Chevy better get similar coverage fast! In the 60’s and 70’s Chevy obviously got their magazine exposure, but my husband commented on how few of these magazine survive today. Many of the titles on display there had long ceased publication.
    So, I have decided to write my paper on the evolution of the hot-rod magazine in the 21st century. Would some of you map out what performance (automotive hop up) magazines titles (and years) you started out reading, and which ones you can still get today? Your age (or “age range”) would be helpful too. I will be concentrating on magazines featuring “hard-core” parts and articles that you still find worthwhile (e.g. PRI not Car and Driver). I also want to include how well modern variations (on-line magazines, forums, blogs, etc.) replace printed magazine articles and advertisements.

There were so many, I can't even remember what they were all called, my Dad used to get them mailed from the US...

some of them got used as material for school projects, and most of them eventually got thrown out by Mum.

I do remember Hot Rod and Car Craft (both of which walked you thru hard-parts installs), I still get the newer issues of those today, but I like the older issues better, I think the ads were better back then... there is nothing comparable to perusing thru a HR or CC mag while you ete your lunch...! LOL.

I was born in 1962.

I started reading car magazines around 1973. At that time and through the 70s I regularly read Hot Rod, Car Craft, Popular Hot Rodding, and Super Chevy sometimes. I still regularly read Hot Rod and Car Craft. I also read Popular Hot Rodding and Super Chevy Sometimes. I am in my mid 50s.
    02 C5 Coupe - LS7, TSP 265 LS7 heads, ARH, Z06 cat-back, HREs, 3.73 gears, Wilwood brakes, DeWitts radiator

15 C7 Z5 1 Coupe - stock for now

12 Avalanche - tune, Corsa Touring