Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A question for you head and cam guys.

Default A question for you head and cam guys.

Is anyone who is running a decent size cam and "supposedly" has a good tune, noticing your exhaust tips still sooty?

My tips will turn black after a few WOT runs even though I have 13:1 commanded and showing. The rear fascia of my car is constantly spoted with soot!

Maybe I need to hire a chimney sweep to correct this problem!

chimney sweep will help.

I had a soot problem for a while. would even leave exhuast tracks on my driveway during warm up. My problem wasn't in the tune. It was oil getting thru the pcv. During my last tear down, I upgraded to the ls6 valley cover and still run a catch can. I only get soot now when it's time to empty the catch can.

Quote Originally Posted by TAQuickness
    chimney sweep will help.

I had a soot problem for a while. would even leave exhuast tracks on my driveway during warm up. My problem wasn't in the tune. It was oil getting thru the pcv. During my last tear down, I upgraded to the ls6 valley cover and still run a catch can. I only get soot now when it's time to empty the catch can.
    Really? That's interesting. I already have an LS6 valley cover. When I removed my intake not to long ago to install new lifters, I noticed quite a bit of oil in the intake. I wouldn't have thought that would cause such a sooty exhaust. I guess I'll have to give the catch can a try!

Oil does wonders in the combustion process

Does your oil smell like fuel? If so, you are running rich, part of the soot problem. Fuel in the oil will change the viscosity making it easier to get thru the PCV system.

You might also try an idea posted by Joecar (I think this post is in the lounge section). His thought, and a damn good one, is to re-rout the PCV to pick up from the oil filler neck. IIRC, the Dodge Caliber has a similar style PCV system.

Lifetime Member

Could it be not enough timing in the PT areas causing an incomplete burn in the exhaust system
    EFILive - The Single version of the Truth

Larry - HumpinSS

I've never noticed fuel in the oil.

Do you think of just venting both vave covers and eliminating the PCV sytem would be worthwhile?

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler
    Could it be not enough timing in the PT areas causing an incomplete burn in the exhaust system
    I suppose anything is possible. I asked this very question yesterday on LS1tech about how much timing is enough and only got one response. A search wasn't helpful either.

I am running 28* at peak RPM's and 1* less around 4400 RPM which is where my torque curve peaks.

I had that problem when I had a bad MAF-- new MAF fixed it. I am olde school.

The oil in intake is a tough one and I have tried everything (ls6 valley, no PCV valve, breather vent, catch can etc) and still get it. For me the soot and "black ass" as I called it, was not related to oil in the intake as much as super rich startup.

2000 C5 Coupe, 6M, Callies/Mahle stroked LS7 (441), Blackwing, Halltech, LS3 intake, 90mm Shaner TB, ported L92 heads, FAST 50# inj, not too much cam, Kooks 1 7/8" headers , 3" catless mid pipes, Z TIs, track suspension, , 3:90 rear, EFI V2, LM-2, etc.
    PowrMax Performance

100 mm PowrMAF

LM-2 EFILIve package with TAQ -sLM2 V-2 serial cable> Package deals

I'm not a big fan of breathers, as it eliminates the vacuum on the top end and tends to get oil everywhere under the hood. Although it has worked for some guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Melton
    I had that problem when I had a bad MAF-- new MAF fixed it. I am olde school.

The oil in intake is a tough one and I have tried everything (ls6 valley, no PCV valve, breather vent, catch can etc) and still get it. For me the soot and "black ass" as I called it, was not related to oil in the intake as much as super rich startup.
    Bruce,

Have you since eliminated the problem?

Guys in the Corvette club nick named my car "dirty butt".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast