Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Manual vs Auto

Lifetime Member

No, wont make a difference.
    "All that is needed for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing..."

OK, it's been a while but I finally got everything together and fired up.. Well almost..
    The car will fire and run for a few seconds and then die-
    It almost acts like it's not getting enough fuel (40# injectors @ 58 PSI- Plenty of fuel for this engine).
    I've got good spark (lights right up and runs smoothly for the few seconds it does run) but I don't know how to tell if the distributor is perfectly set since this is an aftermarket intake and the Vortec distributor doesn't allow for adjustment without modifying the clamp.

Now for the fun part, how do I troubleshoot something that only runs for a few seconds?
    Are there any logs I can pull from the PCM to help point me in the right direction?
    I started off with a 2002 L31 Express Van tune and modified it accordingly.
    Sorry if this is a really basic question but I'm just trying to determine where to start with troubleshooting 101-
    Any advice would be most appreciated.
    Thank you!
    Elm

I can't believe it's 2017 and I still don't have this car on the road!
    The good news is that the car starts and I was able to dial in the CMPRET to +-2 degrees.
    The challenge I'm having is getting the car to start and run consistently. Sometimes it will start right up, other times I have to hold the throttle open to get it to finally start. Once I do get it started it will typically (but not always) idle pretty smoothly around 1000 RPM. I tried to do the CASE re-learn but I can't get the car to run well enough (consistently) to finish the process. The latest behavior is that it now will surge from around 900 to 1700 RPM at idle and I am at a loss to explain why when it hasn't surged before?

A little background:
    Car is a 69' Corvette with a 409 CI Gen I SBC running a FIRST TPI intake and a 2000 Camaro Fuel module with a returnless fuel system (C5 Corvette fuel filter/regulator). I started with a 2002 L31 tune and swapped segments for the transmission (running a manual), MAF (running a 5-Wire LS1 Corvette MAF) but am still running the L31 coil and Vortec Distributor. I've updated the injector table for 40# injectors and updated the engine parameters to the current displacement. It's basically a 409 CI version of a TPI motor (complete with IAC, MAF, MAP and TPS sensors) running a 411 PCM.
    I am running a mechanical flat tappet cam (233/241 @ .050, .505/.520 Lift, 110 LSA) so the vacuum at idle (1000 RPM) is about 12".

I know I've made a fair amount of changes to the various tables to emulate the fuel and spark tables of a LS1 Corvette but I'm somewhat stuck as far as where to go from here with interpreting the datalogs and how to systematically dial in the tune to make the car driveable.
    The only DTC I'm getting to date is the P1336, which to be expected since I have yet to complete the CASE relearn.
    I've found several threads with good information but I'm not really sure as to the order to tackle them since everything seems to be interrelated. I do have a wideband O2 sensor but until I can get it running more consistently, I'm not sure there is a need to use it just yet.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated. I can also post my tune and datalogs if anyone needs a good laugh.
    Thank you for your time!
    Elm

Hey Elm,

Sometimes (most times) many other things get in the way, so our projects take a back seat.

I can suggest post your tune file and some log files, someone will view them and offer suggestions (me included).

Also, keep handy the stock tune file in case you have to compare and/or go back.

Joe,
    Thank you for the advice.
    I've (attempted) to attach my current tune and some log examples.
    One is from when I could get it to idle OK and the other from when the surging at idle occurred (both clips were recorded about 15 minutes apart).
    Forgive my ignorance but do I also need to provide my PIDs/Dashboard in order for folks to view these data logs?
    Thank you!
    Elm

Log_Surge_at_Idle.efi
    Log_No_Surge.efi
    Verification Copy of _0015.ctz

The pids/dashboard files allow other users to see your log using your view, they are not necessary, but they make it easier.

Typically, the advanced user prefers to look at logs using their own view.

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    The pids/dashboard files allow other users to see your log using your view, they are not necessary, but they make it easier.

Typically, the advanced user prefers to look at logs using their own view.
    Thank you for clarifying Joe.
    I guess I'll wait to see if anyone wants me to post them.
    Elm

Remove some pids to bring the pid channel count to 24 or lower (see bottom of PIDs tab)... this will give 10 frames/second (instead of 5).

This is one of areas I still am learning-
    When I look at my PIDs, it shows I only have 24 selected yet when I look at the data it shows more.
    I don't understand why it shows more than I selected or how to remove the ones that appear but weren't selected?
    Both the PID and Data screens indicate 24 PIDs 'selected' but 33 'Channels' in the bar at the bottom- What am I doing wrong?
    It appears there is not a 1 to 1 between PID and Channel, so how do I know which PID(s) use more than 1 channel?
    Also, are there PIDs that I should be viewing vs what I have selected?
    Thank you!
    Elm
    Last edited by ezobens; January 26th, 2017 at 02:55 AM.

Some pids occupy 2 or 4 channels.

On the PIDs tab there is a column indicating the number of channels per pid.

~Moderator~

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast