Thread: Logging Spark During Start-up

Default Logging Spark During Start-up

I have the Main VE table dialed in (THANK YOU Joecar!!) and am now working on first cold start-up issues.

Engine is a 383ci L31 Vortec with Mercruiser MPFI, 36# injectors, XFI280 camshaft, P&P heads, long-tube headers, and ported TB. I have tried logging the initial spark when cranking so I can find my problem, but no luck. (Log and tune below)
    **Yes, the log shows 66* F on start-up, but earlier in the day I was seeing 32* (or 0* C). I have noticed if i use DVT controls, if I command 10* advance, the engines fires off perfectly. I believe i have removed all adders that would effect this, but the values don't seem to match up to what I have in table B5909.

What should I be logging to find these adders to B5909? Any tips to help the cold start problem? (Seems like it is excessively rich with too much timing)

383 Xtreme_0000.tun Cold Start.efi
    Last edited by onegonewild; December 22nd, 2013 at 12:09 PM.

In addition to a cold start issue, do you have a cold engine throttle tip in issue? I had this with my cross ram marine intake install as well. IIRC it was a lean stumble when cold as soon as the throttle was opened.

peace
    Hog
    1997 rcsb stock L31 longblock, Marine Intake with 28# EV6 injectors, L35 2700 stall TC,Hooker LT's 2.007 60ft

Actually I am running so fat in cold temps that I am not experiencing any lean issues with throttle opening events.

Hog, I was intrigued by your build with separate coils on an L31 engine. Pretty cool! I wished I would have went that route since I had Vortec 5.3L coils sitting in the garage and to have the LS series crankshaft trigger for more control.

Did you experience any hard start issues on first start-up? I have followed tried redhatsupra's excel sheet, resolved desired airflow at low rpm, injectors are dialed in, and trims are pretty close to zero. The engine itself runs very strong and is very obedient once it is running. Idle is crisp and very responsive from throttle movements. Just having difficulty with starting. Engine just acts like it is super rich or way too much timing.

I would like to log the spark when cranking to see if i should advance or retard to fix the issue. The wide-band I am using cant log during cranking so I am stuck there. I have tried reading the plugs, but they look rich. I cant pinpoint if I am too rich or not the correct spark.