Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Question

Default Newbie Question

Okay, I'm about a month into EFI Live, I've been researching and building my own tunes a little and enjoying it. I'm a PhD student in quantitative physics and have a masters in bio-chemistry, this is hindering my experiments in playing with EFI live. Since every change that is made is relative to another, I've built a couple of algorithms so everything is proportional throughout the tables and as the rpm progresses. Is this something that is a good idea or does the ECM do this for me, depending on the values I put in? I've used excel more then I've used EFI Live, am I making it to difficult or do some of you guys do this?

Well that will depend on what you call proportional, Duration/RP/Timing cannot be directly proportional to each other and you don't want to keep the stock relationship and make an algorithm off of that or you won't get peak efficiency. You are over thinking this a touch, haha, just read all the stickies and slowly play with the tunes. Most of the tuning I do I try to keep it simple, change one parameter at a time for the most part so if something goes a bit odd, then you know what not to do next time. I've been tuning and playing with my own truck since EFI came out for the 6.7's and I'm still learning about different things. Basically just change the main duration for now a little at a time, log what's going on and at what speeds/rpm, and try something else, all the while keeping the timing in balance by using the calculator that's built in. Try to keep the timing calculator between 48% on the bottom end and 51% on the top end, that's where I've found the best efficiency for burning the fuel.
    2007.5 Dodge 3500 - some power mods with a 48re behind it

So isn't there a peak efficiency with RP/PW/timing/RPM? I feel like if it's all proportional it will be dialed in throughout the whole rpm range?
    2006 Mega, built billet ATS, BD towing twins.

Oh there is, but they are not directly proportional to each other, that's all I'm saying. Here is a base file that I built for a guy who tows quite a bit, it will give you an idea to start from or work off of. Good power and no smoke, temps are lower than stock pulling his trailer.

5.9L 70hp tune.ctz

Thank you, It's difficult with so many variables.

No problem, I try to help, just don't get on this forum as much as I'd like, too busy at work. If you have any questions just PM me, it goes to my e-mail.

Great! Thank you

what year 5.9 is this for? brand new to tuning cummins have an 08 that needs a wake up

Dodge didn't put the 5.9L in an 08. Starting in 2007.5, Dodge started using the 6.7L. If you have a 5.9L Cummins in something other than a Dodge, you need to post in the Cummins HD forum for a better response.

EFILive supports 06-07 Dodge Cummins 5.9L and 07.5+ Dodge Cummins 6.7L
    Duane

2008 Ram 3500 QuadCab
    Hamilton 110# Springs & HD Pushrods, ARP 2000s, EFILive, SB 3250 DD

screening through...Im working on my brothers truck soon and coming from the duramax world have never tuned a cummins.. his is an 07 megacab auto 4x4 all stock except the cold air intake and cats cut off,.. doing the HG this week and trying to do a mild "tow tune" would something like that file work?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast