Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Upshift to 2nd gear when in maual 1st-4L80E

Here is the PERFECT solution for us guys who want to run a 4l60e/65e/70e as well as the heavier 4l80e/85e without a TCM/PCM.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozbWf_QsPrw

It works. that's for sure.

peace
    Hog
    1997 rcsb stock L31 longblock, Marine Intake with 28# EV6 injectors, L35 2700 stall TC,Hooker LT's 2.007 60ft

Lifetime Member

ohhh my....

Quote Originally Posted by Taz View Post
    1. HPT has the required tables for the 2001 and 2002 model year 512Kb PCMs - but that's it.

From a business standing point it does not make much sense for the software companies to invest more R&D resources in an obsolete controller - especially when people are demanding support for all of the newer controllers released in the last few years.

About two years ago I decided to do the ground work to take my business to the next level. Several thousand R&D hours later, I now have a number of specialty offerings - including this 4L80 patch for all LS1-B OSs. I have contributed freely to this Forum over the years, but cannot give away these specialty offerings as they form part of my business revenue, and I have to at least recoup the associated R&D costs.
    1)I have never played with HPTuners, surpriing to hear that the manually selecyed 1st gear upshift tables are available, even if for only 2 years.

2) Yes, I can see larger companies not offering support, the smaller company will add stuff to their software if you call them.

3) I can understand not wanting to "give away" intellectual property, I hope that I wasnt causing you to think that you SHOULD include your work because that was not intended whatsoever.

Yourself and others are a very helpful members here,

peace
    Hog
    1997 rcsb stock L31 longblock, Marine Intake with 28# EV6 injectors, L35 2700 stall TC,Hooker LT's 2.007 60ft

Quote Originally Posted by hog View Post
    Here is the PERFECT solution for us guys who want to run a 4l60e/65e/70e as well as the heavier 4l80e/85e without a TCM/PCM.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozbWf_QsPrw

It works. that's for sure.

peace
    Hog
    Cool

I just have to remember to flick the switch(es) in time for each upshift (and to avoid redlining on downshifts).

tdmkr

1-2 forced up shift is a mechanical function within the transmission it is there to protect the engine from over speed condition that could damage it, like going down hill in an over weight vehicle in first manual selector position where your low roller over run clutch is not allowed to overrun due to the rear band being applied sending power up through the trans to the converter spinning the engine. depending on the application this threshold may be modified.

also your Pressure control solenoid sounds good from the readings you presented. At idle pressure control solenoid should receive max PWM amps of 1.1 driving the PC sol to max on duty cycle driving the line pressure down to anywhere between 27- 35 psi. At Max TPS PWM amps will be driven to .1 this will make the pc sol duty cycle more off raising line pressure any where between 170-190 psi. any pressure above 190 psi to 325 or so is also a mechanical function of the transmission. I know the amps and duty cycle seem backwards but its is made that way to also protect the transmission, if the power were to be lost to the transmission or the tcm, in your case pcm. line pressure would go to max to protect the clutch pacs from slipping and burning them out.

if you pm me i can help you out with a lot of theory of operation for the 4l80e trans, it might help you save some cash. and with more cash we can afford to by more toys from guys like taz and others!!!

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by wrenchman View Post
    ...1-2 forced up shift is a mechanical function within the transmission ...
    It is nice of you to offer your assistance ... many eyes sometimes lead to a novel solution ... however the above point is not correct. The 1>2 shift is 100% under PCM control ... with tuning alone the 4L80 can be made to hold 1st gear until the driver elects to upshift.

I still have interest in this solution for the 4L80E. Taz, if you see this I am willing to deal with you directly I just wasn't able to PM you because my account is new. Thanks for any and all replies!

I have been contacting efilive and getting no solution I understand that they are busy but I need this manual first gear hold I have the upgraded os so my hpt buddy cant help I am also interested in your fix can you help Taz? I talked to a guy at efilive booth this past week and he suggested I use performance mode and max out the tables on a micro switch for d1 but I'd like to use that mode offroad

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by codeman_tinck@hotmail.com View Post
    I have been contacting efilive and getting no solution I understand that they are busy but I need this manual first gear hold I have the upgraded os so my hpt buddy cant help I am also interested in your fix can you help Taz? I talked to a guy at efilive booth this past week and he suggested I use performance mode and max out the tables on a micro switch for d1 but I'd like to use that mode offroad
    I did a lot of R&D on the 4L80 1>2 shift issue (and the T42 zero TPS% TCC lockup issue) a number of years ago - when no tuning software had any of these parameters.

Since then HPT has added these parameters to many operating systems. I believe Tunercat has also added some of these parameters.

Given that I generally used to charge a nominal fee for this service, I could not fix your tune for free - it would not be fair.

You could flash your PCM back to the stock operating system - then have your friend with HPT take care of it - then upgrade to a COS again afterward. That would cost your friend 2 HPT credits ($100 USD).

There is a member on this Forum with Tunercat - and I believe he has added these parameters to his version of EFILive - perhaps he may offer to help you.

Quote Originally Posted by Taz View Post
    You could flash your PCM back to the stock operating system - then have your friend with HPT take care of it - then upgrade to a COS again afterward. That would cost your friend 2 HPT credits ($100 USD).
    This is what I ended up doing. Works great, just took 40 mins worth of flashing/tuning to complete.
    70 Chevelle Restomod, 5.3 with S475, LS6 cam, 4L80E w/Circle D Pro multi-disk, Self-Tuned with EFILive
    99 Sierra ECSB 5.3 EFILive, K&N Intake, and Flowmasters

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast