Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: in need of basic 5.3 tune

Default in need of basic 5.3 tune

Hello I have a 2000 Silverado 5 speed with a cold air and a flow master exhaust. I don't know crap about this efi tuning but my buddy is big in the diesel tuning world and has offered to tune my little truck we just need someone to email us a tune that works he could possibly build off. He has said that it probably only uses ten percent of its fuelnmap at low throttle input and if we could use all of it is have a lot better low rpm performance for off roading around my property. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Wow friendly community here. Looked under my hood at all the plastic and found out its actually a 4.8. Anyway still need some info even just a reply for how we should tune this truck

What are your mods...? If you only have cai/exhaust, then the stock tune should be fine.

Do you have a wideband...?

"...only uses ten percent of its fuelmap at low throttle input..." <-- this is not correct (have a look at the fuel trims to see this).

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by bucksnort View Post
    ... Wow friendly community here ...
    On your second post ever on this Forum you are already criticizing folks for not dropping everything, and emailing you a free tune.

I am guessing that you do not own EFILive, nor a WBO - and have no idea what you are doing.

When your position is on bended knee, with your hat in hand, a little decorum is appropriate. Sarcasm will only ensure that you receive no assistance.

You are correct I have no idea what I am doing. Just trying to get some people to talk and people on other forums I use will speak up a little quicker.
    I do have a buddy who owns a unit and tunes diesel, he told me to look for a tune as a starting point for him to work off of since he's inexperienced with gas.
    I want to do it so I can get a little more power and a "more lineal throttle" according to my tuner friend. Specifically, I'd like to feel less bog at low rpms.
    I don't know what wideband is please humor me I'm a 12valve Cummins guy so this is all plain geekery to me.

You 2000 Silvarado has cable driven throttle, so there is no way to linearize throttle.

You have cold air intake and catback, so your stock tune will be just fine (there really isn't appreciable torque/power to be extracted without causing damage).

Trucks have the highrise intake manifold which increases lower rpm torque, and they come from the factory already tuned for this.

Huh. I thought computer tuning would be a quick way to get a little pow out of her maybe 20 horse or so. Maybe I should do injectors and a throttle body and then check back? I'm not trying to go crazy mud bogging or anything I just thought some low end would be helpful in ranch duties and I just love my little truck. Its a 5 speed and it came very high geared making it difficult to start on hills it takes excessive revving and clutch riding. On another note I'm sure you all scoff at the low level hypertech or superchip tuners but on my level would one of those gain any appreciable power? Seems like my friend with efilive could match whatever gains they might get. Thanks for your reply

Changing injectors and throttle body will not produce any more power/torque.

Changing any of cam/heads/displacement and/or adding headers will increase power/torque.

Hypertech/Superchips advance ignition timing to produce more torque, but this usually induces knock which will damage your engine in various ways (by the time the knock sensors detect knock and the PCM reduces timing, a small incremental amount of damage has occurred).

Well that does not sound good. Thanks for the direction I may look into headers and some sort of cam later but it sounds like you're telling me there is no mythical easy to get torque.

Lifetime Member

No, gas engines arent as easy to make power with as diesels. With a diesel, you just add more fuel (and boost usually) to make more TQ and HP. Gas engines, you need to improve the airflow in/out of the engine. A CAI will help slightly, but really you need to look at things like efans, headers, better flowing heads, cam, and an intake manifold to really get some additional power.

A tune itself is usually good for ~10-15hp/tq, it really depends on the engine and displacement (i.e. a 6.0/6.2L engine would see that, probably only 8-10ish for your 4.8L).

More tq: do lots of upgrades to your existing 4.8 OR build a 6L+ stroker and drop that in. It depends on your budget and goals.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast