Thread: EFIlive v2 vin change error

Default EFIlive v2 vin change error

yep, newbie here, sorry for that...
    after browsing forum threads, came up empty so just started using efilive flash scan (scan only) v2. Updated efilive to most current version, updated boot block and firmware (as per instruction) to most current aswell. I bought this only to change the vin number (thus why scan only version) for my swaped LS1 5 series BWM and seems either Im missing something or I did not click the correct thing. From the beggining in F2 - I read the PCM successfully, F3 - shows all the details and in F4 - I click the ... next to the vin number (which when mouse over it states "change vin" i get this awesome error - see attached. Still searching now for a solution online. Thanks
    clint
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	efi vinchange errro.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	16308  

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but the Scan only V2 has no write authority to the ECM so you will not be able the change the VIN with it.
    Duane

2008 Ram 3500 QuadCab
    Hamilton 110# Springs & HD Pushrods, ARP 2000s, EFILive, SB 3250 DD

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by KhakiCummins View Post
    I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but the Scan only V2 has no write authority to the ECM so you will not be able the change the VIN with it.
    Normally you are correct, but you only use the Scan Tool to change the VIN so it can be done with a Scan-only V2.

OP, you need to use V7.5 Scan Tool to change the VIN. BUT, you must download the corresponding V8 Scan & Tune version and ensure the bootblock/firmware are up to date. Also, make sure you run all of the programs with Administrator privileges.

You DO NOT need to read the tune out of the PCM/ECM. Even if you change the VIN in the tune file and flash it (with a tuning-enabled V2), you HAVE to change the VIN using the Scan Tool. (There are some exceptions to this, but IIRC they're the Cummins controllers.)
    Last edited by ScarabEpic22; January 15th, 2014 at 06:13 AM.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 View Post
    Normally you are correct, but you only use the Scan Tool to change the VIN so it can be done with a Scan-only V2.

OP, you need to use V7.5 Scan Tool to change the VIN. BUT, you must download the corresponding V8 Scan & Tune version and ensure the bootblock/firmware are up to date. Also, make sure you run all of the programs with Administrator privileges.
    Thanks. I installed v8.1 and 7.5 (I think it was) that came on the cd. Then downloaded the v8.2 and then as per the instructions in the box said to update the boot block and firmware. I will try and read the car with v7.5 and see how far I get. Thanks for the replies.

I emailed efi live a while back asking which handheld would do the vin change and Paul Blackmore said the scan only would do that just fine and scan/log.
    Thanks
    Clint

You need the latest software from here: Update-Nov-21-2013

The error message you posted occurred with an earlier version of V7.

Quote Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 View Post

You DO NOT need to read the tune out of the PCM/ECM. Even if you change the VIN in the tune file and flash it (with a tuning-enabled V2), you HAVE to change the VIN using the Scan Tool. (There are some exceptions to this, but IIRC they're the Cummins controllers.)
    Good to know. Thanks Eric!
    Duane

2008 Ram 3500 QuadCab
    Hamilton 110# Springs & HD Pushrods, ARP 2000s, EFILive, SB 3250 DD

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    You need the latest software from here: Update-Nov-21-2013

The error message you posted occurred with an earlier version of V7.
    Thanks, I updated both V8 and V7. funny they wernt on the main page for download but none the less vin changed successfully. The hand held scanner no doesnt communcate to it... but the goal was accomplished. Thanks for everyones help!
    clint