Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All Cummins, all the time?

Default All Cummins, all the time?

Seems like the direction of EFILive is leaving a lot off the table for us "old-school" guys with 6L80 and 6L90's. Will EFILive ever be on the top of the game for gassers as it once was? Or is this a permanent shift?

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_PA View Post
    Seems like the direction of EFILive is leaving a lot off the table for us "old-school" guys with 6L80 and 6L90's. Will EFILive ever be on the top of the game for gassers as it once was? Or is this a permanent shift?
    EFILive has a number of GM Gas projects scheduled for this year.

There are no enhancements/expansions planned for existing T43 operating systems. The peak of development was finalized a few years ago given the controller was first released in 2007. New operating systems will be supported at some point.

Cheers
    Cindy

Permanent shift. Gotcha...

Lifetime Member

I have always been an avid supporter of EFILive, including their business decision to focus on an emerging diesel tuning marketplace. As a "gas" tuner this may sound odd, but as a business owner, I understood.

For professional gas tuners this was not an insurmountable problem, when the CAX file option was fully functional. With the concurrent emergence of CAX file restrictions, complete T43 tuning is a real challenge.

The T43 (A6 - 6L80 / 6L90) was introduced in 2006, and remains in production in 2015 models. This controller has been used in millions of GM vehicles.

T43 development was something that EFILive just did not seem motivated to "roll up their sleeves" and complete. It is a complex controller, but the "will" to tackle it and succeed, seemed to be lacking by EFILive.

There were very few available T43 parameters initially, more were eventually added, but many remain unavailable.

I believe that EFILive is the best tuning software available for the E38 / E67. That gets your ECM tuned nicely, but how do you tune your T43 TCM ? That is the dilemma for the enthusiast user. Professional tuners simply use multiple tuning softwares to achieve their final product.

Well, maybe there is just no trans experts here to complete it as much as you need it, we can't perform miracles.
    The 'will' as you put it does dwindle for sure on hard controllers like the T43, particularly when emerging markets were far more attractive long term rather than labouring away playing catch up to what HPT had (which we were constantly reminded of).

Quote Originally Posted by Taz View Post
    Professional tuners simply use multiple tuning softwares to achieve their final product.
    Correct, and that works on both sides, I am sure there would be many HPTuners shops that have EFILive as well for a variety of reasons, tuning shouldn't be looked at as Apple vs Windows, they are just tools, the more you have the more you can achieve.
    Last edited by GMPX; March 1st, 2015 at 09:22 AM.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Yeah, reading back over the last 5 years, I see this has been beat to death. Still unbelievable after all these years, I guess!

What is still unbelievable Jim? The market (our sales) has directed EFILive in the direction it has taken, we are after all a business, not a hobby.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    What is still unbelievable Jim? The market (our sales) has directed EFILive in the direction it has taken, we are after all a business, not a hobby.
    I sold off my HPT to join in on what used to be the better tuning package for gassers, only a few years later to find out that I would have been better off staying where I was.

What's unbelievable to me is that all cars running around with the 6L80/90 don't warrant enough of a push to keep ahead or at least be on the same plane as the competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_PA View Post
    What's unbelievable to me is that all cars running around with the 6L80/90 don't warrant enough of a push to keep ahead or at least be on the same plane as the competition.
    Unfortunately Jim no matter what I say or how many times I justify why we do what we do, it isn't going to be what you want to hear. HPTuners have very comprehensive T43 coverage, they have done from day one (given you used to own it you would know that) so for EFILive to get our T43 support up to that level it would involve a massive R&D investment which cannot be justified in 2015, particularly when we still might not be able to match what they have. The T43 race has been run and won, particularly now the 6 speed will be getting phased out over the next few years.
    We know many of our customers loathe the Diesel direction EFILive started to take back in 2005, but for all the gas tuners that feel this way there is equal number of Diesel tuners who are very thankful we did.
    Last edited by GMPX; March 2nd, 2015 at 10:26 AM.

Lifetime Member

I know you guys rack and stack what's going to be the cash cow, but at times I have to wonder what prevents you from adding staff and trying to take on more of the market? I realize old stuff will never be a priority, I'm thinking of the future. Have your cake and eat it too? Maybe it's already been brought up and I missed it.
    1998 GMC Sierra K1500 5.7/4L80E, longtubes, 411 w/COS 5, marine cam/intake, Whipple. 91 octane at 6000'.
    1997 GMC Sierra K3500 7.4/4L80E, 411 w/COS 3, Whipple, small cam.
    2004 Corvette Z06 with longtubes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast