Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 41

Thread: Lml bin file.

  1. #1
    Lifetime Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    299

    Default Lml bin file.

    Looking for the raw binary file.

    Has anyone seen one floating around or can efilive provide?

    I don't think it can be stripped from the .tun file can it?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Lifetime Member GMC-2002-Dmax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,272

    Default

    If you were to get a raw bin file you would need expensive third party tools to edit, initial investment for basic editing of the BIN file would be $5k++.

    There are several options, only a few formats can be imported into EFI-Live for final editing.
    www.mscservices.net


    Tuner of many, many Duramax and Cummins Diesels.


  3. #3
    Lifetime Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    299

    Default

    I don't need to worry about importing into efilive. I think I just need the addresses and map sizes/type of what I want. Then I can make a .cax and do any changes in efilive.

    how does efilive handle the checksum calcs when files are changed via a .cax?

    I feel its worth mentioning that I am NOT trying to defeat any of the exhaust system.

    Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

  4. #4
    Lifetime Member GMC-2002-Dmax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,272

    Default

    You still need an editor to view the maps and addresses.
    www.mscservices.net


    Tuner of many, many Duramax and Cummins Diesels.


  5. #5
    Lifetime Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,934

    Default

    Sounds like you have never used / written a *.cax file before ... EFILive allows users to augment / personalize their tuning software via the *.cax file option.

    This option is 100% "use at your own risk". I post this warning as from time to time the good folks at EFILive debate removing the the *.cax file option - due to users making an error, then wanting some form of support from EFILive.

    If the *.cax file option is ever eliminated, it would seriously impact the specialty services that I offer. Even the *.cax file restrictions that came into place about a year ago caused me some issues.

    If you have never worked in hex / binary before, then you are in for a big surprise. Cost effective binary / hex software will display the code, but will offer little insight beyond this. Expensive software can offer some assistance with interpreting the code.

    This exercise is not for the uneducated nor inexperienced user. My early ventures into this brave new world cost me several controllers - the price of doing business as they say.

    Regarding your checksum question ... as long as the changes are made using EFILive (including the use of a custom *.cax file), the checksums are updated accordingly. This does not mean that your *.cax file is correct, nor even that it changed what you intended it to change - so beware.

  6. #6
    Lifetime Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    299

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GMC-2002-Dmax View Post
    You still need an editor to view the maps and addresses.
    thanks for the concern but I understand. I'm not going to rattle off programs on an efilive forum but with the binary I can do what I need to do.


    Quote Originally Posted by Taz View Post
    Sounds like you have never used / written a *.cax file before ... EFILive allows users to augment / personalize their tuning software via the *.cax file option.

    This option is 100% "use at your own risk". I post this warning as from time to time the good folks at EFILive debate removing the the *.cax file option - due to users making an error, then wanting some form of support from EFILive.

    If the *.cax file option is ever eliminated, it would seriously impact the specialty services that I offer. Even the *.cax file restrictions that came into place about a year ago caused me some issues.

    If you have never worked in hex / binary before, then you are in for a big surprise. Cost effective binary / hex software will display the code, but will offer little insight beyond this. Expensive software can offer some assistance with interpreting the code.

    This exercise is not for the uneducated nor inexperienced user. My early ventures into this brave new world cost me several controllers - the price of doing business as they say.

    Regarding your checksum question ... as long as the changes are made using EFILive (including the use of a custom *.cax file), the checksums are updated accordingly. This does not mean that your *.cax file is correct, nor even that it changed what you intended it to change - so beware.
    thanks for your input. I figured as much with the checksums.

    I have not written a .cax before. I do believe my interpretation of what the .cax will allow me to do is correct though. the specifics of implementing one can be ironed out in time I'm confident.

    I'm trying to avoid getting on a soapbox but I scratched through the surface of debugging a crotch rocket ecu with a friend of mine who is very handy. We used a rom editor with a definition file(we wrote) to mod the bin and the chip's toolkit to flash the modded image. Luckily that platform didn't care about checksums. But anyways, I've bricked several controllers and I've learned from it. I've also made some good friends from around the world who have written their own software that works very well for interpreting structure and processes. You are correct, it is more work without spending the cash but never impossible. I am new to the lml and the diesel world in general but I hope this don't make you assume I am incompetent and unaware.

    I am concerned with making changes that aren't what I want. For all my projects up to this point I have always worked with an engine sim and set break points. I don't see why I can't do that here if it comes to that.


    Either way, I'm just looking for the raw ecu dump to save me efforts. It never hurts to ask. I appreciate the concerns.

  7. #7
    Lifetime Member Dmaxink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,176

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RADustin View Post
    thanks for the concern but I understand. I'm not going to rattle off programs on an efilive forum but with the binary I can do what I need to do.




    thanks for your input. I figured as much with the checksums.

    I have not written a .cax before. I do believe my interpretation of what the .cax will allow me to do is correct though. the specifics of implementing one can be ironed out in time I'm confident.

    I'm trying to avoid getting on a soapbox but I scratched through the surface of debugging a crotch rocket ecu with a friend of mine who is very handy. We used a rom editor with a definition file(we wrote) to mod the bin and the chip's toolkit to flash the modded image. Luckily that platform didn't care about checksums. But anyways, I've bricked several controllers and I've learned from it. I've also made some good friends from around the world who have written their own software that works very well for interpreting structure and processes. You are correct, it is more work without spending the cash but never impossible. I am new to the lml and the diesel world in general but I hope this don't make you assume I am incompetent and unaware.

    I am concerned with making changes that aren't what I want. For all my projects up to this point I have always worked with an engine sim and set break points. I don't see why I can't do that here if it comes to that.


    Either way, I'm just looking for the raw ecu dump to save me efforts. It never hurts to ask. I appreciate the concerns.
    I don't foresee anyone on his forum supplying a raw .bin... And I know no one will supply addresses. LMLs are locked extremely tight. Also, you will need to know where all to modify the .bin to make it "fit" into efi.

    Good luck man,
    Kory
    -Kory

    I'm out of ideas? Nah trick... When in doubt, 0xFFFF it out!

    http://www.PPEI.com/

  8. #8
    Lifetime Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    299

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dmaxink View Post
    I don't foresee anyone on his forum supplying a raw .bin... And I know no one will supply addresses. LMLs are locked extremely tight. Also, you will need to know where all to modify the .bin to make it "fit" into efi.

    Good luck man,
    Kory
    like I said. doesn't hurt to ask. never know when someone might want to take a chance on someone else furthering the knowledge base. I would have never got past milling a slot in the case to reveal the AUD port on my first ecu if I didn't take a chance on asking questions!

    quoted from your sig, "The only stupid question is the one not asked..."

  9. #9
    Lifetime Member Dmaxink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,176

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RADustin View Post
    like I said. doesn't hurt to ask. never know when someone might want to take a chance on someone else furthering the knowledge base. I would have never got past milling a slot in the case to reveal the AUD port on my first ecu if I didn't take a chance on asking questions!

    quoted from your sig, "The only stupid question is the one not asked..."
    I totally agree... I have asked more questions to date than I have still gotten answers for! Lol
    -Kory

    I'm out of ideas? Nah trick... When in doubt, 0xFFFF it out!

    http://www.PPEI.com/

  10. #10
    Lifetime Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    299

    Default

    From the research I have done and what there is to read out there for lml specific I do understand you are the guy with probably the most answers...which usually just leads to more questions. funny how that works.

    I'll start the hunt for an extra ecm. Low balling yards on ebay doesn't seem like it will work for this one.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Helping reading LML stock file...
    By New Age Hotrods in forum Duramax 2011+ LML / LGH
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: January 23rd, 2014, 03:15 AM
  2. LML .cax file
    By cokane1 in forum Duramax 2011+ LML / LGH
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: November 28th, 2013, 02:02 PM
  3. Original Bin File
    By markemac in forum General (Petrol, Gas, Ethanol)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: July 15th, 2008, 11:57 AM
  4. Need a ls6 bin file please.
    By slopokegtp in forum Gen III V8 Specific
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: September 2nd, 2007, 12:34 AM
  5. Bin file compatability
    By QUICKSILVER2002 in forum General (Petrol, Gas, Ethanol)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: December 15th, 2005, 06:12 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •