Thread: Problems Loading Valid License File During Startup

Default Problems Loading Valid License File During Startup

There's nothing wrong with the license, and when I enter it manually in the license dialog it accepts it and everything is great. The next time I start the application it remembers most of the details, but always forgets the date (instead of an expiration date of December 31, 2049 it asserts my license expires on January 31, 2049). Since the date doesn't match what it wants from the serial key, it tells me my license is invalid. Once I change the month (which I can only do by advancing one month at a time in the date picker control instead of typing it in with the keyboard), everything is again fine. But is there a less tedious way of working around this error?

Pertinent information:

The software is the latest version available for download. So that's not it.

The OS, on the other hand, is ancient - it's XP SP3. It's also an Austrian German localization, which I assumed at first had something to do with the problem because, despite the application being all in English, the text file the license is stored in (with what appears to be .INI format serialization) uses the system locale to serialize the expiry date (the date picker control in the license dialog also appears to use the system locale, which makes the fact that it doesn't recognize the date even stranger). That decision results in the date in the text file appearing as "31-Dez-2049" instead of '31-Dec-2049" or "Dec-31-2049" or something else. I've tried changing this text by hand to "31-Dec-2049" and reloading the file (and this indeed works if I choose the file via Load again), but the next time I launch the app it still has the same problem. Or is the textfile in which I saved the license not used during startup, but rather some duplicate of the information stored somewhere in the registry? Will changing it there suffice?

Again, this problem doesn't break any functionality, but is nevertheless unnecessarily tedious.

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Investigating...

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

The EFILive V4 software is incorrectly ignoring the locale settings for the abbreviated month name in the license expiry date. That means it will only recognize the English abbreviated month names. So if the file contains 30-Dez-2049, then it will not recognize Dez as a valid month name and default to 30-Jan-2049 which causes the license to be invalid.

You will need to manually edit the EFILive_V4.ini file and change "Dez" to "Dec", like you said you have done before.

Here's where I think the problem may be re-occurring:
    When the File-Registration window is closed by clicking the [Ok] button, the license details are rewritten - including the expiry date. So when the expiry date is "Donnerstag 30, Dezember 2049" that will result in "Expiry=30-Dez-2049" being saved into the file. Which will obviously not be read back into the software correctly (due to the ignoring of the locale setting when reading the license details).
    So if you want to view the registration details, don't click the [Ok] button because that will cause "Dez" to be written back into the license details (even if you have not changed anything), use [Cancel] instead.

Not that this helps you at all since you can't use the date-time picker to enter a valid December date, but you can use a drop down list to pick the month name. Just left click on the month name and pick the month you want.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	date.png 
Views:	337 
Size:	6.5 KB 
ID:	16354

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.