Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trying to Flash LLY TCM

I was almost going to agree with Ben on his statement. I still currently have this problem with my LLY. But flashing with v7 works flawlessly everytime. And the AL5 controller will flash no other way except v7. V8 or BBX has NEVER worked with the AL5 in my truck. And V8 is hit or miss with customer trucks with LLYs and LB7s. So I've just gotten in the habit of using v7 for LLY, LB7, and AL5 controllers. As those are the only ones I have this issue with when trying to use V8 or BBX, but have never had a single issue with using v7.
    Josh

'04 GMC LLY
    - L5P, Motech, 6-Spd Conv. ML Trans.
    '05 GMC LLY - 250%, 12mm, 67mm Custom Turbo, 6-Spd Conv. ML Trans
    '19 3500 RAM - Tuned Aisin 0_o

I've had the exact opposite problem with LLY's. V7 is more miss than hit trying to flash them, but V8 normally goes right through. I have grown to HATE LLY's here lately with all of there quirks. Last truck fought me and fought me before it would take a DSP5 cal flash, and then when it did go through it was screwed up. Truck rattled like it was eating rocks when it was cold. Customer brought it back to me a week later when it had warmed up out, and the flash went right in no problems, and ran quiet as could be. So far it has been about 50/50 as to wether the flash will go through right or not for me. As for flashing the AL5, I have had to unplug my BCM on more than one occasion to get it to flash. Also, if I don't start it and run it for at least a minute before I attempt to flash the AL5, it will not unlock.
    1995 GMC 2500 SUBURBAN powered by 01 DURAMAX/ALLISON, little of this, a little of that,
    DIAMONDEYE 4" exhaust, CORSA muffler, AFE stage 1 dry filter, custom tuning by me, KENNEDY single pump and pump rub kit.

So to update this, It turns out that V8 is apparently missing the ability to FULL FLASH an AL5 all together. Full Flashing is also excluded from BBX as well.

This makes absolutely no sense at all as V7.5 supports it completely and it works flawlessly. Im curious if this was just something that may have been overlooked because there is nothing wrong with full flashing the AL5. But if we should be using V8 to do all our flashing, this is one hindrance to that and going forward, this would be one EXTREMELY vital feature that would be lost if it wasn't carried over from V7.5 to V8.

Is this something that we can see fixed in the near future?
    Josh

'04 GMC LLY

Mayyybbbeee?? Also AL5 locking support? It exists in 7.5 but wasn't brought to v8 it seems.... Or being able to write over the Key-off memory areas.... That would be nice as well. 0x4000 - 0x7FFF
    Josh

'04 GMC LLY

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chavez91 View Post
    So to update this, It turns out that V8 is apparently missing the ability to FULL FLASH an AL5 all together. Full Flashing is also excluded from BBX as well.

This makes absolutely no sense at all as V7.5 supports it completely and it works flawlessly. Im curious if this was just something that may have been overlooked because there is nothing wrong with full flashing the AL5. But if we should be using V8 to do all our flashing, this is one hindrance to that and going forward, this would be one EXTREMELY vital feature that would be lost if it wasn't carried over from V7.5 to V8.

Is this something that we can see fixed in the near future?
    It's intentional. There are a number of discussions regarding full flash exclusions from V8 (and therefore BBX) back in 2016. Here is one. https://forum.efilive.com/showthread...-(allison-tcm)

Revisiting LLY is not on the development list for the first half of 2018, so it will remain this way for at least the medium term.

Cheers
    Cindy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12