Thread: 2000 Pontiac TA WS6 - Manual Tranny to 4L65E Swap - Tune Questions

Question 2000 Pontiac TA WS6 - Manual Tranny to 4L65E Swap - Tune Questions

A friend of mine bought a very low miles 2000 WS6 last year with several engine related upgrades (and tuning issues) that I will ask about down the road. Anyway, it was a stock manual 6-speed car, but he wanted an auto, so he traded a for a 4L65E from a 2007 Avalanche. When it was installed, he had the TCC replaced with a RevMax 3200 stall w/anti-ballooning plate (really not sure what that even is). For the last few months he's had someone else tuning it for him, but the guy was hesitant to mess with any of the tranny related parts of the tune. So, they sent it off somewhere to have those adjustments made with the tranny swap. It's been in for awhile now, and works, but not well. He said it feels like the TCC never locks, and that he averages about 3000 RPM's or more when cruising at around 70 MPH or so on the highway. I'm not an expert by any means, but I told him I'd take a look and see if I could help him. I've attached the tun file that I pulled off of his car. Just at a glance, I saw several parts of the engine calibration that I think are incorrect, but unless you think I need to go into all of that for these tranny questions, I'll leave that alone for now. 1) Would the tranny tune sections be the same for a 4L65E as they are for the stock 4L60E? I thought they would be, and if so 2) could I not just copy over the values from a stock auto tune from that year? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sam
    Attached Files Attached Files

Looking through the tune, Im guessing he is running boost, there are a number of issues in the engine tune but that wont effect the TCC. The trans tune has several issues also, the 2 that jump out right away are TCC lockup at WOT, that will kill a TCC unless its a triple disc. The other issue is in the DTC's P0719, P0724 & P0748 are all X:Not reported where in a normal auto tune they are C: Non Emissions. I saw those couple things right away, if I have more time I'll look through the whole tune.

Thanks for the quick reply minytrker. Yes, the car has a P series procharger, and I will definitely have questions about that stuff later. I will make the changes you suggested to the current tune. I'm still wondering though, if it would be safe to just copy over all of the factory auto settings for a starting point, and then fine tune from there? I'd like to save any more possible damage like you spoke of until we can get the tranny dialed in. Thanks again!

Sam