Thread: how do you know when Gen3 is cable throttle or Drive by wire?

Lifetime Member

Default how do you know when Gen3 is cable throttle or Drive by wire?

Im working on a XJ cheroke with drive by cable, the PCM provided is a RED/BlUE, i read the tune, and its from a 2002 Silverado, how do i know if it is drive by wire or drive by Cable?

You can be almost guaranteed an 02 Silverado is DBC. In 02 about the only thing DBW was the LQ9 in the YukonXL/Escalade but to be totally sure open the tune file, scroll down to "systems" and click the vehicle platform options. It'll show "electronic throttle" as either yes or no.

Lifetime Member

im not lucky then, it looks like it is a DBW, ill atach the tune, i segment swap for a 4L80E trans, and then i realized that it looks like DBW and i need 5.3L 4L80E DBC, and it looks like on TunefileDepot is only 1 tune with 4L80E and thats the one i take the segment from, any help?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Well call me tickled. That's the first '02 LM7 with DBW I've ever seen. Why not start over with an 02 DBC and do a seg swap on it?

Lifetime Member

I just find a 5.3L DBW tune with the same OS my PCM has, ill start again, thank you very much i apreciate it, really

Quote Originally Posted by Big Mike View Post
    You can be almost guaranteed an 02 Silverado is DBC. In 02 about the only thing DBW was the LQ9 in the YukonXL/Escalade but to be totally sure open the tune file, scroll down to "systems" and click the vehicle platform options. It'll show "electronic throttle" as either yes or no.
    Big Mike, although rare, if the vehicle was factory equipped with Traction control it would have DBW not DBC.

Some people don't realize the Fullsize Trucks and Suv's from 99-02 had this available as an option, but it's usually rare to find in 99-02 models.

Quote Originally Posted by 1FastBrick View Post
    Big Mike, although rare, if the vehicle was factory equipped with Traction control it would have DBW not DBC.

Some people don't realize the Fullsize Trucks and Suv's from 99-02 had this available as an option, but it's usually rare to find in 99-02 models.
    Right. It was the only the 2wd 2000-2002 SUV's that had this traction control option. No 2002 and older 4wd SUV's had traction control, and no half ton pickup trucks had traction control. (until 2007.5 when they got stabilitrak). Some of the 2wd trailblazers and SSR had this traction control too.

Keep in mind, this is just basic traction control on the 2wd 00-02 SUV's. IE, straight-line wheel spin control. NOT true 4-channel electronic stability control like on the 2003+ denali/escalades, and 2005+ tahoes/suburbans. Completely different system.

ESC was a rare option on some 2004 suburbans/tahoes too...but only with the oddball AWD transfer case.
    2005 Silverado, CC/SB, 4x4, LT, LILLY/Allison
    12.9s @ 108 mph

many thanks to Ross and Paul

http://forum.efilive.com/showthread....l=1#post201269

OS 12212156 w/ 4l60e you shouldn't have any problems using that