Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Post Stall Airflow

Default Post Stall Airflow

Ok guys just a question on what the your thoughts are on this.

Say your stall an M6 LS1. From what I have found without turning the ignition off my IAC is not parking to a position open enough to allow for a seamless restart like when you would normall shut down the engine. Normal Hot Start and Cold Starts are fine but if you stall the car and try and kick it in the guts straight away it struggles without giving it some throttle.

So any ideas from guys that may have solved a similar issue or have ideas on where to work would be good.
    I did drill my TB to improve this issue but its not as good as I would like it to be.

Cheers Macca

Do you have some logs showing IAC position/counts when this happens...?

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    Do you have some logs showing IAC position/counts when this happens...?
    No not yet Joe as its just something I thought of finally fixing right now. Its the kind of issue that doesn't bother me to much as I don't make a habit of stalling my car. Just something i'd like to understand a bit more to possibly fix it. I am assuming that the IAC is not parking as this is the only credible reason I can think of to cause the problem. Like I said. If you turn the car off its fine. But try and restart without power cycling the PCM and its no good without throttle application.

[edit] just a thought that popped into my head. Perhaps I'm relying to much on my parked position airlflow for a normal start and could possibly reduce that and offset it with more in the cranking areas. What do you reckon?
    Currently commanding about 6.0g/cyl in B4343 at 80c+ and 30g/cyl for parked position airflow.

Would say 30g/cyl for B4343 and 6g/cyl for parked pos airflow work. I think it might make things a mess and I'm just thinking out load here.
    Last edited by macca_779; January 19th, 2009 at 06:58 AM.

Holy thread dig batman...

This exact same thing happened to me the other night so I thought i'd see if it was a once off anomaly, well I could reproduce the post stall difficult restart. I thought it was IAC airflow (ETC in my case) that was causing the problem as you'd give it a fraction of pedal and it would fire straight away, but after deliberately stalling my car during a log and trying to fire it back up again showed my IAC/TP position to be correct but the cranking pulsewidths to be abnormally large which would make sense as it needs the extra air to fire it.

It's a COS 04140003 running OLSD, logfile attached: Log_Stalled_Restart.efi

Frame 87 - normal startup, PW ~5.7ms for short crank / 10.6% TP or 134 steps
    Frame 193 - deliberately stalled motor (did NOT power cycle the car)
    Frame 280 - tried to restart, PW ~8.7ms when cranking and took a few cranks / 10.6% TP or 132 Steps
    Frame 371 - keyed the car off
    Frame 400 - keyed the car back on, PW ~4.9 for short crank / 10.6% TP or 132 steps

The only PID I didn't log that could be relevant is volts but if anything the voltage should be the same for each crank/run event. Any ideas or anyone come about this before?

Kris

Just bumping this as yesterday I stalled the car a couple of times by mistake and exact same restart nature - high cranking PW which takes the car longer to get running without any throttle. Would be great to know if this is a bug in code or just a simple tuning issue.

Going to give this a bump to the top - is there any chance this can be looked at? Stalling in traffic = outright dangerous if it doesn't want to restart / floods...

Throttle cracker/follower, and idle desired airflow...?

Post logs.

The problem isn't stalling from airflow or coming to a stop and it stalls, as a matter of fact the car drives absolutely brilliantly and the cracker/follower settings are literally perfect for my engine combo, it's restarting the car after the occasional stuff up taking off from the lights (M6 transmission) is what I mean by stall.

Post #4 is the log/description of the issues when restarting - i.e. INJPW is massively larger than a key off/key on cycled restart. Throttle position (car has an ETC)/step count appears to be much the same for a normal start and for a stalled restart, but the fuelling is the issue from what I can see.

Will attach tune shortly - need to fire up laptop.

Tune attached - it's also worthy to note that the tune is largely based off the 2006 CV8Z Monaro stock tune as the car is a CV8Z Monaro with an LS1 and DBW. VE table left intact

20140328 - Current.ctz

Is the CPP switch working correctly...?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast