Thread: Boost or RPM limiter? Won't shift....

Default Boost or RPM limiter? Won't shift....

Hey guys,
    Need a little insight if anyone can provide any....

I have a 2006 Cummins I'm tuning for a customer, S366, 100hp injectors, single tune. Truck runs good, made 658 on the dyno... but I can't get the thing to shift quite right, allow me to explain

Truck had a boost fooler on it intitially. Prior to tuning I took it off.... tuned it, went for a drive and noticed at 3000-3100rpm it acted like it was bouncing off a rev limiter. I tried a couple things to no avail, plugged boost fooler back in and it shifted no problem and ran through all the gears.

Later we noticed the truck would basically not even do a burnout when you power braked it.... pulled boost fooler off and bam! Plenty of power to pull through the brakes down low, but still bouncing off a limiter at 3000-3100rpm.

When the limiter sets in, the boost gauge reads 35-36psi everytime, if you let up on the pedal it will shift, then you can put it to the floor and make 45psi of boost no problem at all. Which confuses me because with the knowledge learned from the boost fooler I was certain it was boost limiting. My wot shift points on this truck are set at 3300 rpm, I haven't tried lowering it back to stock shift point, but I have a sneaky suspicion that it would work fine, I've got a guy in ohio running compounds on a truck with 3050 rpm shift points and he hasn't missed a beat with his shifts making 50psi......

So what table am I missing? I've removed every possible limiter I can find, and still can't run the shift points I want.....
    Peace Through Torque

Punisher Performance DSP5 Tuning, PPE Dual CP3's, 68mm Fleece Cheetah, Punisher Built trans w/ Suncoast Parts, Airdog 165, SoCal 100% Overs, ARP Studs

2013 NHRDA Sportsman World Champion

www.PunisherPerformance.com

Side note, I have another guy with a built trans/stock motor having the same exact issue when trying to command a higher shift point.
    Peace Through Torque

Punisher Performance DSP5 Tuning, PPE Dual CP3's, 68mm Fleece Cheetah, Punisher Built trans w/ Suncoast Parts, Airdog 165, SoCal 100% Overs, ARP Studs

2013 NHRDA Sportsman World Champion

www.PunisherPerformance.com

Do you have a log of this event to share?
    EFILive Beta Tester

2006 DODGE RAM 2500 4X4 Industrial Injection R1 100HP Injectors and BAG-O-PARTS, ATS Exhaust Manifold, AFE 67MM Turbo and MANIFOLD

I've been dealing with the same problem for about year now. Any update? Its said going down the strip bouncing off the rev limiter.
    EFILive Beta Tester

2006 DODGE RAM 2500 4X4 Industrial Injection R1 100HP Injectors and BAG-O-PARTS, ATS Exhaust Manifold, AFE 67MM Turbo and MANIFOLD

Check this out. Look at post #5
    https://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=20333