Thread: 4L80E swap, logged some data, take a look

Lifetime Member

Default 4L80E swap, logged some data, take a look

I just swapped in a 4L80E built by me and Circle D 2800 stall triple disk. The tuning was minimal, its mostly stock 80E settings with the shift speeds adjusted for the 3.42 gears and zeroed out shift times. This is my first auto, never done auto tuning or logging before. The trans settings are basically straight from an 02 Silverado 6.0L tune with some minor tweaks and the shift points changed for my gears. Definitely needs some more work.

1) When I use the DVT to turn on the TCC solenoid I can hear a very faint click, not nearly as loud as the shift solenoids. But when I try to engage the TCC while driving nothing happens. It also seems to have engaged a couple times on its own during the logging and nothing happened. On a couple occasions its tried to engage when letting off heavy throttle. Is that normal?

2) In gears 1-3 the turbine speed is nearly identical to the input speed, and the output speed is the input speed divided by the gear ratio. But in 4th, the input and output speeds are the same (same in 3rd also) but the turbine speed is now equal to the output speed divided by the gear ratio. Is this normal?

3) The TC slip speed seems awfully high, up to 2000 rpm when heavy on the gas, and 600-900 rpm when cruising. Is this normal?

Sorry for the noob questions, this is my first ever data logging of auto PIDs. I've attached the tune and a couple logs.

Thanks!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2001 Silverado 5.3L ECSB 2WD T56:
    T76 turbo, Meth injection, 72# injectors, 799 heads, 212/212 114LSA cam, Built 4L80E, 3.42's
    EFILive V1 Commercial, COS5 2-bar SOLSD, AEM wideband

Lifetime Member

Got your PM regarding the TCC not locking issue ....

Try the attached tune .... it is intended as a diagnostic tune only. Your tune above in post #1 was set to lock at no less than 50 MPH or so, and the lockup speed increased with TPS%. The attached tune should lock in 3rd and 4th gear at around 30 MPH, as long as the TPS in less than 50% or so.

Regarding trans PIDs to log .... validate the available PIDs while connected to the PCM ... then select those of interest ... don't forget to take a look at the Transmission State PIDs ... GM.TSTATE09 and GM.TSTATE10 should be helpful to you in diagnosing the TCC issue.

Lifetime Member

Thanks Taz. I've actually narrowed down the TCC locking issue to a mechanical fault in the trans. If I manually ground the TCC solenoid at light throttle I still don't get TCC apply, but as I increase throttle then it will start to apply as line pressure builds. I've since disabled TCC lockup completely so I don't burn up the converter, until the issue is fixed.

Thanks for the tune, I'll take a look at it tonight.
    2001 Silverado 5.3L ECSB 2WD T56:
    T76 turbo, Meth injection, 72# injectors, 799 heads, 212/212 114LSA cam, Built 4L80E, 3.42's
    EFILive V1 Commercial, COS5 2-bar SOLSD, AEM wideband