Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Desired Shift Times

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy366 View Post
    There are two small aluminum plugs that you insert into the steel section plate and hammer down flush to block off 2 passages.
    My HD-2 kit didn't have me do that.

http://www.performancetrucks.net/for...please-507451/
    2001 Silverado 5.3L ECSB 2WD T56:
    T76 turbo, Meth injection, 72# injectors, 799 heads, 212/212 114LSA cam, Built 4L80E, 3.42's
    EFILive V1 Commercial, COS5 2-bar SOLSD, AEM wideband

Quote Originally Posted by ferocity02 View Post
    My HD-2 kit didn't have me do that.

http://www.performancetrucks.net/for...please-507451/
    Cool, got a plate with yours, if you followed the directions correctly you should have a nice shifting trans.
    If you notice there are a few springs that increase pressures.
    Mine came with a manual plate for manual shifts, so a little different kit.
    Notice there a couple of things that are different, I had to replace a spring in the trans upper left corner, I don't see it in yours.
    Am looking for my instruction sheets I will post once I find, but I don't think it will help you seeing you have a kit different than the one I got.
    Last edited by Chevy366; April 4th, 2014 at 10:22 AM.
    2005 1500 HD , Custom OS3 SD tune .
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

Lifetime Member

Cool, got a plate with yours, if you followed the directions correctly you should have a nice shifting trans.
    If you notice there are a few springs that increase pressures.
    Mine came with a manual plate for manual shifts, so a little different kit.
    Notice there a couple of things that are different, I had to replace a spring in the trans upper left corner, I don't see it in yours.
    Am looking for my instruction sheets I will post once I find, but I don't think it will help you seeing you have a kit different than the one I got.
    I did not follow the HD2 kit instructions 100%. I left out their 3-layer plate because it has the potential for cross-leaks. I did the dual feed mods internally to the trans and use a stock separator plate that I drilled out for the shift firmness. I also didn't use its pressure relief valve or boost valve, I used the Sonnax self-regulating boost valve instead.
    T76 turbo, Meth injection, 72# injectors, 799 heads, 212/212 114LSA cam, Built 4L80E, 3.42's

Quote Originally Posted by ferocity02 View Post
    I did not follow the HD2 kit instructions 100%. I left out their 3-layer plate because it has the potential for cross-leaks. I did the dual feed mods internally to the trans and use a stock separator plate that I drilled out for the shift firmness. I also didn't use its pressure relief valve or boost valve, I used the Sonnax self-regulating boost valve instead.
    Might be why you are having problems then.
    I don't know anything about all that voodoo stuff you mentioned, because I did the install by the directions and mine worked flawlessly.
    Maybe someone will see this and have done something close to what you have done and help out, can't help with off standard builds.
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

Lifetime Member

Might be why you are having problems then.
    I don't know anything about all that voodoo stuff you mentioned, because I did the install by the directions and mine worked flawlessly.
    Maybe someone will see this and have done something close to what you have done and help out, can't help with off standard builds.
    The internal dual feed is a very common way of dual feeding the direct, it's what the pro's do, common practice on the 80E and TH400.

Basically all I used from the HD2 kit was the springs and the other misc valve body mods. I am considering removing all of the HD2 kit when I dig into the valve body, not sure yet.

Lifetime Member

Really Erik, didn't on mine.
    Don't go raising line pressures the Transgo kit should have done that for you if you installed the correct springs (until you figure out if something is wrong or not), a correct install of the Transgo kit will yield a faster firmer shift.
    I havent messed with the trans internals of my 02 TB in years, its up at 150k now so Im not gonna touch it ha!

With a Vette 1-2 servo and the HD2 kit, I ended up reducing the 1-2 line pressure but still have to run more for the 2-3 and 3-4 shifts. I havent touched the tune in it for probably a good 3-4 years now, shifts firmly all the time so Im not going to worry about it.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Obviously I am not a pro, I know what you are saying but have never done it. I worked for a summer at a trans shop back in my youth so I am not totally out of touch with trans internal mods.
    I just know the HD2 kit for my 4L80e is way different then the one you are referring to, I don't know why one kit would be so different than the other, the kit I have says "Series A" and came with instruction on how to turn the 4L80e into a manual shift trans, meaning gears will only change only if you do it with the shifter, no automatic. The large spring in the left corner of the trans that was replaced is for line pressure increase, I know because I had a problem with a part in the kit and needed a new one and called Transgo and asked some questions while the customer service rep was on the phone, and I asked specifically about it.
    Like I said the kit came with more springs than the one you pictured. Still have not run across the instructions.
    2006 Trailblazer

Quote Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 View Post
    I havent messed with the trans internals of my 02 TB in years, its up at 150k now so Im not gonna touch it ha!

With a Vette 1-2 servo and the HD2 kit, I ended up reducing the 1-2 line pressure but still have to run more for the 2-3 and 3-4 shifts. I havent touched the tune in it for probably a good 3-4 years now, shifts firmly all the time so Im not going to worry about it.
    Yeah, if it ain't broke don't try and fix it. LOL

Yep with a Transgo kit it is best to start off with stock settings seeing that that is what the kit targets for increasing, I had a modded tune with line pressure and shift time alterations when I put my kit in, had to go back to stock because I was getting improper feed back from the increased shift times and pressure, once I went back to stock all was well trans and tune have not been altered since.
    2006 Trailblazer

Lifetime Member

After roughly a week with my desired shift times set to 0.3s, I checked the transmission adaptive values using the logging software and they are all 0.00psi for all shifts in all cells.

The PCM does not appear to be making adjustments to match the desired shift time. Is there something I'm missing? Another setting that might disable adaptive learning?

Perhaps a code is causing it not to learn.

Log these pids:
    - ADAPTCELL <-- not valid on some PCM's
    - ADAPTSHIFT <-- not valid on some PCM's
    - SHIFTLAST
    - SHIFTERR
    - SHIFTDELAY
    - TFMPRS
    - TRQENG
    - GEAR
    - TCCMODE
    - VSS
    - TP

Look closely at the shift times (SHIFTLAST).

On every F-car I looked at, the TAP values were always all zeros (I'm as puzzled as you are).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast