Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: grid heater light/no code set?

Default grid heater light/no code set?

So I tow extensively and les tuned my truck (whiich Kick's ass and I highly recommend) Not being able to leave enough alone though I've made some minor tweaks to pull a few more mpg and reduce smoke and it's really really close.... But if I'm pulling down the highway with a load (doesn't matter how heavy) if I'm above 10psi on the boost gauge and she's "working a little to maintain 80 my intake grid heater light will illuminate and ding audibly 8 times. Sets no codes and if I back off slightly and drop to 75mph it will go out on it's own. It's kinda like having a little guy in there to tell me I'm getting worse millage if I continue to push it that hard. Any one know what causes it? Or what it's trying to tell me?

Separate note I'm in want of a twin kit for my 06, I have a stock manifold and an aurora 3000 right now. Makes good power but I'm into more power and no smoke when I'm towing. Havent been able to tune out both loaded and unloaded smoke, keep reverting back to les's tune and starting over with small adjustments. Still trying to learn how everything affects everything during the combustion cycle.

Thanks for any help guys.
    To Live, To Serve...

Injector return fuel high eventually you will get code when they get worse . I freaked 1st time my grid light came on and dinged.
    Tuning by Zack StarLite diesel

The grid heater light on and the dinging sounds like that "feature" that Dodge incorporated into the ECM firmware a few years ago.

Google P1222/P1223 DTC's and you will find a ton of info on this.

Like Easymon mentioned, you have a high side fuel system issue.

As for adding a 2nd turbo to your ATS Aurora 3000 turbo, that's easy!
    Just add a ATS Aurora 5000 or 6000 to it. ATS makes a really nice bolt in kit.

I've had a ATS A3k/A5K twins kit in my 2004.5 6 speed manual for about 4 years now without an issue.
    My truck is a mild street truck that tows our 10k 5th wheel all around the B.C. mountains all summer.

The A3k/A5k is a small towing twins kit. 59mm over 74mm turbo's. It's a great kit for towing.
    I've done 560RWHP/1150RWTQ on Smarty TNT/R level 7. I tow Smarty TNT/R level 3 about 470RWHP/900RWTQ.
    50HP DDP injector nozzles, Arson kit in the CP3, good lift pump. I don't even need a pyro when towing.

Cumminalong did 750RWHP with large injectors with the same twin kit many years ago.

Feel free to ask more questions about this turbo kit...

I forgot to mention that I would kill to be able to run EFI Live on my 2004.5 ECM..

so now I'm confused, I have an air dog system, a 100hp set of nozzles and the tuning to go with it that's not tooo smokey, and Les has the truck set for as much millage as I can squeeze down low and good towing in the middle which is where I'm at (maybe on the high side) when I'm towing, but the trucks complaining about not using all of the fuel it's being fed? Shouldn't it be happy? I am.....
    To Live, To Serve...

You now have about 4 topics/questions going on in the same thread which is not conducive to getting good information.

1. You should 1st fix the high side fuel system issue that you are having.

2. What do your gauges tell you when you are towing? Boost, pyro, fuel rail pressure.

The ATS Aurora 3000 is a really small 59mm turbo. 100 hp injectors are a large injector to use with this turbo.

yes I completely understand about the turbo I got the injector tips before I did the turbo and unfortunately I added up not being able to afford twins at the time but I wanted to. But how would I saw the high side issue of my fueling system problem, I am curious as to how the system knows that its got too much return fuel since their dog system bypasses the stock system completely. Any help with that would be greatly appreciated.
    thank you very much
    To Live, To Serve...

Your Air Dog lift pump is part of the LOW side fuel system. Your issue is with the HIGH side fuel system. ie. fuel rail pressure.

The new Chrysler firmware feature very closely monitors the fuel rail pressure using the rail pressure sensor.
    As I mentioned earlier, you really need to google DTC P1222 and P1223 for more detailed information on your issue.

thanks, I'll check it out.
    To Live, To Serve...

Email me and I can try to roll-back your OS to prior to the Chrysler update, but in essence, you need new bodies as they are returning more fuel than desired.
    Les Szmidt
    2007 5.9 Dodge Ram
    2014 Ram 3500 Aisin tuning Emissions Equipped
    EFI Live Cummins BETA Tester
    Silver Bullet Tuning
    silverbullettuning@gmail.com
    www.youtube.com/ljszmidt
    http://www.facebook.com/SilverBulletTuninig

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast