Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Android... that's Leenux isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    x86 sucks which is why majority of phones are ARM based.
    No ARM Is cheaper, money dictates a lot of the choices.

I hope the new owners enjoy porting it because I can't see Paul EVER doing that, and anyway for what distro? There is only what 1,000 to choose from now

Google has influenced a lot of the kernel development lately so Linux is becoming more Android than you think.
    There is not a thousand, Ubuntu, Fedora, opensuse, are your top 3, Debian and Slackware main OS, now many winders is there now Vista, 7, 8,8.1--

Common sense plays a big part in how safe your computer is too and how much market share something has. If (a big if) OSX or Linux had a 89%+ market share on desktops like Windows does then hackers would be all over them too.
    I'm not an MS fan boy but the alternatives offer no real reason to switch.
    That logic is so outdated it is funny, Android has a lot of the share of the market and OSX is Unix based, oh how I weep for the uninformed. I don't use one line of code for anti-virus, you?
    So stay stuck in the mud I have moved on from Winders, enjoy the basking in Gates quagmire.
    Only thing that keeps me on Winders is EFILive, I have to have Winders to run it properly, see my market share point.
    2005 1500 HD , Custom OS3 SD tune .
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy366 View Post
    That logic is so outdated it is funny, Android has a lot of the share of the market and OSX is Unix based, oh how I weep for the uninformed.
    Are we talking about desktops/laptop OS's or any electronic device? You aren't trying to tell me a program written for an Android smart phone will 'just run' on a desktop PC running Linux because they are both Linux based?
    Re the Linux choices, really, is this necessary?......
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...n_Timeline.svg

x86 isn't a good CPU architecture, Apple made a wise choice to go PowerPC years ago until they bowed to marketing GHz pressure too, or maybe because it was (god forbid) easier to run Windows on an Intel Mac

I don't use one line of code for anti-virus, you?
    Sure I do, it is Windows after all, I installed it about 3 years ago and it just runs in the background and never annoys me, not sure what all the fuss is about but this is the point Linux fan boys like to bang on about. It is not like Windows users have to install anti-virus software each time they boot the computer.

So stay stuck in the mud I have moved on from Winders, enjoy the basking in Gates quagmire.
    I have on my PC VM's of Linux Mint 15, Ubuntu 12.04 and PCBSD 9.0, I'm not just being a MS fanboy (not that I am one anyway), I really have used the alternatives and saw no convincing reason to totally abandon Windows.

Only thing that keeps me on Winders is EFILive, I have to have Winders to run it properly, see my market share point.
    You did see that Windows still has 89% + market share on PC's right? Anyway, I'm glad you like EFILive enough to continue to have to infect your computer with Windows.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

out of interest, what makes x86 not good CPU architecture compared to PowerPC?

Quote Originally Posted by kangsta View Post
    It is way more complex with its segmented memory scheme (altho now you can make a segment as big as the whole memory)...

back in the day when segments were 1MB (iAPX86/88), you had to split your program into multiple segments (by manipulating the segment registers which held the upper 16-bits of the 20-bit segment address... you can already see the complexity)... early compilers did not do this for you, you had to mess with it yourself.

By comparison, back in the day, the 68000 had a flat 32-bit architecture (even tho externally it had pins for 16 bit; it automatically performed 2 external accesses for 32 bit words), so you simply just wrote your program.

If the x86 architecture was simpler, it would be much faster than it is today.

I've done some virtualization on Atom CPU's and they are fairly powerful processors. I've had WindowsXP, Linux/Asterisk and pfSense running all at the same time on a 4GB proxmox machine. While I haven't load tested it fully, first impressions is that it has enough power to do the job. It seems to have more "server" power than a C1000 Celeron does.

I think I'll try loading EFILive and doing USB passthrough. heh. you never know, it could work. Wine OTOH, nevermind.
    2001 Camaro SS
    EFILive Custom OS3

Quote Originally Posted by kangsta View Post
    One of the other issues with the x86 is they were quite limited in how many working registers you had, I think 8 but really only 2 for data manipulation use. PowerPC has 32 General Purpose Registers and 32 Floating Point Registers. Much of this comes back to the x86's origin, it was quite common at the time to not have the luxury of lots of working registers.
    What this means is if you are doing a complex calculation (like the Virtual VE) on a PowerPC CPU if you have say 15 variables to add, multiply etc they are all stored and manipulated without shuffling that data around.
    So for example, this is a snippet of the final Virtual VE calculation on an E78 ECM.

efsmul r12, r29, r7
    efsadd r12, r22, r12
    efsmul r11, r26, r6

The 'r' is the register number in the CPU, so the first operation multiplies the contents of r7 with r29 and stores it in r12. Then r12 is added with r22 and stored back in r12, then r6 is multiplied with r26 and stored in r11 and so on. The 'r' registers could contain anything, they are just scratch pads I guess you could say.
    With the x86 that would take so many more steps because of it's architecture. For each operation you would have to store the result somewhere then go fetch it again next time you needed that variable, what might take one step on PowerPC might take 3 on x86. So a PowerPC CPU at 1GHz completed the same task as an x86 at 3GHz. Clock speed sells computers but doesn't mean faster is better when comparing different CPU's.

Cheers,
    Ross
    Last edited by GMPX; April 23rd, 2014 at 08:12 AM.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Good old RISC vs. CISC..... I remember doing a CPU power comparison of a 1GHZ HP PA-RISC CPU vs an Athlon 3GHZ X64. I compressed multiple 1GB data files and the PA-RISC was at least twice as fast. Intel certainly pulled the wool over the worlds eyes back in the 80's and we are still having to manage that choice.

Anyway, technology aside, there are still issues with running a commercial application on Linux. For starters, Linux is not owned by a company who provides support for their product, unlike Windows. Yes, you can get support from Redhat or Novell (SLES), but that's not support for the core OS code and they only really do server based products on specific infrastructure. EFILive won't be doing Linux support, which is significantly more complex for the non-tech people. So who helps these guys out when things don't work?

Don't get me wrong, I'm a Linux fan and have worked in many versions of Unix for the past 20 years. But I've also working in enterprise support and can see that there is little business sense in working on a Linux port, at least at this time. I'd rather see more details in calibrations for tuning than a Linux port.

Thanks for the excellent explanation Ross & Joe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12