Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warning on ECM's previously flashed with Diablo

Default Warning on ECM's previously flashed with Diablo

Hi All,

We need to bring to your attention an issue that recently came about so you can avoid a disaster.
    For some time we've had reflash failures on E38 ECM's that have previously been tuned with Diablo, it is not necessarily something they are doing wrong, in fact the cause of it is a trick they are using to make the CVN's appear stock. The problem is this is confusing our reflash bootloader when it validates the checksums at the end of the flash. It thinks something is wrong and won't allow the ECM flash to finalise, it is something we've been manually fixing for E38 users as it doesn't happen too often, however today we had the first E92 ECM file sent to us that had been previously flashed with Diablo. So I wanted to see if we were going to suffer the same problem, well unfortunately when the flash completed the ECM bricked itself, I have no idea why and we have no possible way to recover it (the E92 is welded closed!).
    Rather than create a pile of E92 doorstops we are going to put a check in the V8 software that will display if the file should be flashed or not. EFILive will not cover any costs involved should an ECM be bricked when it is clear the ECM was previously tuned with Diablo.
    Until this update is out with the file warning I would suggest being very wary of any previously tuned E92's, if in doubt have the ECM returned to stock with TIS2WEB.

We had E92 flashing done in May 2013, there has not been one report of a failed ECM in this time so our system is very robust, please don't panic, just be diligent if you think the ECM has been modified before.

Cheers,
    Ross
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Lifetime Member

Thanks for sharing. I just created a thread comparing a stock C7 Corvette tune and the tune provided by ProCharger (VIA Diablo Tuner!). Any way of knowing if the ECM will brick if I were to re-write it?
    2002 Z06
    Vengeance Racing Stage 5, H/C/I/3.90 diff, 575 hp
    2016 Chevy SS M6 (daily driver)
    Roto-fab Intake

Yeah, don't flash that Diablo tune in using EFILive.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Lifetime Member

So I would need to flash the stock tune back into the vehicle and then edit the stock tune and flash with the new file?
    2002 Z06
    Roto-fab Intake

Well I could probably fix the Diablo tune so it would work but I only have one E92 left and we need to do some testing on them, so like you I can't afford to brick one at the moment.
    Given you have the stock tune and the Diablo tune you could certainly copy all the tables over in EFILive to the stock tune which would flash ok.

Lifetime Member

Question: I did not read the stock tune before loading the Diablo Tune. I was able to get a copy of the stock tune by reflashing the car with the original backup tune in the Diablo, and then reading it with my V2. Do you think I will still be OK by modifying the stock tune and flashing the ECU?
    2002 Z06
    Roto-fab Intake

Lifetime Member

Is the diablo stock tune really the GM factory stock tune? History would tell us that many handhelds tell customers that they are returning to stock but it's really not stock when compared to a factory flash.

The answer is we don't know, how stock is their stock tune is a question for Diablo.

We could take a look at your tune, but cannot make changes as per Ross's info above.

Cheers
    Cindy

Lifetime Member

Looks like I got lucky. I went ahead and modified the stock tune and flashed the car, worked fine. Maybe I was OK because the tune came from ProCharger and the Diablo tuner was just the means of flashing.
    2002 Z06
    Roto-fab Intake

If you are going to tune the ECU with EFIlive after the Diablo tune for the ProCharger has been loaded.
    Please flash the car back to stock first to avoid the possibility of issues, this is always a good idea if possible.

We do not send handhelds out with tunes in them, the customer has to download HIS/HER original stock file.
    Then they email them to us, we modify them, and email them back. So when they return to stock, it should be their stock file.

We did have that issue in house on one of the 7 BETA cars we had in here.
    However that was only after that truck (2014 GM Truck actually) had been flashed with EFIlive, HPT, and Diablo.
    GM as able to easily recover the ECU for us at a local dealership, and flash it back to stock.
    Diablo is pretty sure that specific handheld had the issue, due to locking up during the flash, and never finishing correctly.
    So what the real cause was is unknown at this point, though its never happened again.

With that being said, we only saw this one time, and know of multiple dealers that are flashing these C7's after the Diablo is installed, with both EFIlive, and HPT. (For headers, removal of cats, etc)
    Lots and lots of these cars running around now with Diablos on them, and more and more shops starting to tune them, hopefully we will see this not be an issue going forward.

Just wanted to let everyone know our results.

Thanks!
    The ULTIMATE Power Adder!
    www.procharger.com
    facebook.com/procharger
    #procharger
    @procharger

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by ProChargerTECH View Post
    If you are going to tune the ECU with EFIlive after the Diablo tune for the ProCharger has been loaded.
    Please flash the car back to stock first to avoid the possibility of issues, this is always a good idea if possible.

We do not send handhelds out with tunes in them, the customer has to download HIS/HER original stock file.
    Then they email them to us, we modify them, and email them back. So when they return to stock, it should be their stock file.

We did have that issue in house on one of the 7 BETA cars we had in here.
    However that was only after that truck (2014 GM Truck actually) had been flashed with EFIlive, HPT, and Diablo.
    GM as able to easily recover the ECU for us at a local dealership, and flash it back to stock.
    Diablo is pretty sure that specific handheld had the issue, due to locking up during the flash, and never finishing correctly.
    So what the real cause was is unknown at this point, though its never happened again.

With that being said, we only saw this one time, and know of multiple dealers that are flashing these C7's after the Diablo is installed, with both EFIlive, and HPT. (For headers, removal of cats, etc)
    Lots and lots of these cars running around now with Diablos on them, and more and more shops starting to tune them, hopefully we will see this not be an issue going forward.

Just wanted to let everyone know our results.

Thanks!
    Thanks for sharing! The ProCharger kit I installed recently on a C7 was an easy install and I was impressed with the quality of the kit. My only complaint is with the silicone hoses; because of the EBCM, radiator hose, and cooler line, it was a chore to get the silicone hoses and adapters in a good position. I think I saw a mention of when a one piece hose is available ProCharger will update the kits. Other than that the install was a breeze and the car is a monster!

Thanks!
    2002 Z06
    Roto-fab Intake

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast