Thread: Serial number

Default Serial number

Hello EFI Crew. Will we have the ability (or do we now) to update or add in serial numbers in the E54 ecms? Seems this now a frequent issue having them come up blank or erased. Most likely not so easy, but thought I'd ask as it has been a problem lately.

Thank you,
    2013 LML, 550hp with factory emissions, stock cp4 and compound turbos.
    2002 LBZ, 4x4 (Max'd Out) 6000lbs 9.36 @ 154 mph NHRDA Champion and Record holder
    1965 El Camino, duramax 9.6 @ 149MPH

All EFI tuned by Adrenaline Truck Performance

Sorry to say but no we can't do that.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Just a stab in the dark and thought wouldn't hurt to ask. Do you know of a fix for the LB7 ecms that have been previously tuned with EFI successfully in the past and now coming up with missing serial numbers on a retune? Is the chip replacement the only option?

Thank you,
    2002 LBZ, 4x4 (Max'd Out) 6000lbs 9.36 @ 154 mph NHRDA Champion and Record holder

Contact Guy, he fixes 3-5 LB7 ecms a month for me that come in hosed up
    www.mscservices.net

Tuner of many, many Duramax and Cummins Diesels.

The issue shouldn't really come up on the late 2002's and up, it is the 01 and 02's that will corrupt themselves, even worse if you let it near TIS.
    As Tony said, Guy has the ability to remove the flash chip off the board and fix the problem in an external programmer.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

What I'm seeing, as the ecm's pile up at my feet, checking old files that have been tuned in the past using V7.5 or V8 had the bad serial numbers but I never heard about it as the ecms would take a flash so I never looked for this. This is now not the case.

Just a short bit of time looking into old files and I'm finding more and more of these type examples that never had problems flashing. Now when a retune is requested, in house on a bench or remotely, the ecm locks up. So seems to me like the bad serial was always there from the first time of tuning, but the hardware/software ignored this part in the past but now this is not the case. Does this make sense?

Thank you,

I have flashed literally hundreds and hundreds on my bench harness and I don't think in 8 years I ever had one brick, even when we did all the Beta testing in 2005-2006 on the Full Flashing.

I usually use V7.5 for LB7's but also use V8 and see lots of 000000000000 SN#'s and or corrupted SN#'s, the stream license and workshop don't seem to care at all about the SN# and I manually lock them down and record the KEY in my database as well.

But they are a problem for sure, I won't remote tune one if the stock read file has a hosed up SN#.
    www.mscservices.net

Tuner of many, many Duramax and Cummins Diesels.

We did recently (as in January) make a change to the flashing process to help detect a valid serial number even if it was corrupted.
    Essentially the ECM keeps two copies of the serial number, sometimes (don't know why) one gets corrupted then the ECM decides to corrupt the other one at will. The change we made was to try to figure out which of the serial numbers is valid in the hope the flash process can get past that issue.

I have a problem with it just stopping mid full flash it erased my serial number and vin and full flashes that went threw after wont take a vin or serial again will a gm full flash fix this or did the efi toast it?