Thread: E40 VATS Patch not working

Default E40 VATS Patch not working

Customer swapped a 2006 LS2 with E40 got a PCM tuned by another place and they locked it. The rig was not running correctly so I said lets put another PCM in that is not locked. I had another E40 and tuned it for him. I disabled VATS via the patch and full flashed it. Well, its not working. I have attached a log, take a look at VTD-VTD1 and 2. This is with ignition on engine off, it does the same if you can get the engine running. It just runs very very very fat. The only thing I can see making it run like that is VATS. Or am I crazy??

I am using V8.2.2.238 and v7.5.7 build 246

Log_0000.efi

Post tune file.

Okay, so I don't know if it is a vats thing or not. To double check I swapped in the badly tuned pcm and it scanned the exact same way but still ran. The issue I am having is it cranks very very rich and if it actually starts, is so rich there should be raw fuel coming out of the tailpipe. Although the commanded fuel is not that high.

I originally looked at the locked pcm and got the OS id off of it and full flashed a pcm to be identical. Well, it did the same rich thing. I then took and had GM fully flash another PCM with a 2006 OS, with the same service number on the pcm. Its rich too. I don't get it. I have tried Manual OS, Auto OS, and about every other thing in the book and get the same issue every time. The pedal is a 2005-2006 GTO pedal, engine is out of the same car, so I am matching the OS to that. Am I missing something?

The tune below is a 2006 auto with the TCM mil turned off just to check if the engine would run.
    E40_0001.ctz

I did see the fuel system status flash to OL Drive while cranking, then flashed a few times once started and finally quit. I wonder if there is a pedal or TB issue?
    Last edited by SkinnyPedal; May 17th, 2014 at 02:28 AM.

If VATS were active, it would let the engine run only for a seconds, if it would let it start at all.

Do you have any air leaks that the O2 sensors are interpreting as lean...?

Are the subharnesses for the O2 sensors crossed left/right...?

Well, I found the problem.............. The problem is, I listened to the customer about the engine being totally stock.

It has 60lb dekas. Problem solved.

Thanks guys for taking a look. It is greatly appreciated.

VATS patch works perfect. EFILive is awesome and has been one of the best tools in me making customers happy!

lol, injectors were spraying twice as much fuel as stock... glad you found it (I hate it when the customer neglects to mention something(s)).

Question Old thread, new ?

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    If VATS were active, it would let the engine run only for a seconds, if it would let it start at all.

Do you have any air leaks that the O2 sensors are interpreting as lean...?

Are the subharnesses for the O2 sensors crossed left/right...?
    Joe, I have an E40 on a 2005 GTO transplant. The harness is a rework by a well known supplier.
    My issue is twofold:
    1. I have 12V @ both the coils and injs. I have no spark, no fuel inj operation.
    2. I see on the drwg supplied w/ the modded harness, that there is a ground wire. We've not been able to find such. Owner is to check w/ the shop that did the mods.
    I checked Connector 2, pin 73, marked as ecm ground. It shows good to the engine.
    I've gone thru all the fuses, and find all are hot in both run and start.

After all that, do I have to kill the VATS in order to get even a "chug" out of this thing?
    How do I determine 2 or 3 type VATS, for the application of the patch?
    I have not uploaded a modded program, yet.
    [The program is bone stock, as is the engine. The entire drivetrain is all as originally built.]
    As usual,
    TIA!
    Chuck L.
    CODY Motorsports
    Fuel Injector Service
    Madison, GA.
    706-342-3152
    770-265-5144 [C]

Hey Chuck,

I'm not too familiar with GTO systems...

so referring to the GM Service Manual this is what I uderstood:

The ECM is looking for a message from the BCM to allow starting, so yes, disable VATS;

See attached wire diagrams for 2005 GTO...

02.gif:
    there are 2 relays (ECM/TCM Control Relay 1 and 2) that feed "Accessory Voltage" into ECM and TCM... I think ECM needs to see Accessory Voltage voltage to allow starting;

20.git:
    shows how ECM controls start relay;

this is what the SM says about the start relay:
    Start Relay

The engine control module (ECM) controls the operation of the start relay. When the ignition switch is turned to the START position , the ECM will enable the start relay for 1 second. If the ECM does not receive the correct theft deterrent signal from the powertrain integration module (PIM), it will disable the starter relay. If the ECM receives the correct signal from the PIM, it will continue to enable the start relay. When the engine has started and the engine speed is above 500 RPM, the ECM will disable the start relay, preventing starter engagement while the engine is running.

For applying the VATS patch I'm not sure which VATS type to specify.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Joe, what we've been able to find out:
    Customer hooked up the harness, and couldn't remember that the grnd was in fact there, but he hooked it at the ft of the pass head! Ohm'd out the grnd w/ all sensors unhooked, and confirmed the ground was solid.
    We've also found the the "E" series pcms don't seem to give the same start/stop, on the VATS, that the older units do. No "chug"!
    I will d/l the current tune, as Im sure the VATS was never turned off, patch installed.

Thanks!
    Chuck L.
    CODY Motorsports
    Fuel Injector Service
    Madison, GA.
    706-342-3152
    770-265-5144 [C]