Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black V2 box VS Blue V2 box

Default Black V2 box VS Blue V2 box

Hello, new to this EFI live stuff what's the difference between the black and the blue V2 box. I'm looking at buying a black V2 from a guy and he has 2 lic with it never used he said the box was updated last week and he used a lic he had for his truck to put it back to stock. He also has a few tunes he got from someone and some he did asking 800 for everything shipped. His truck is a LMM and so is mine is this a good deal and do I need to worry about anything he seems like a good guy just don't know anything about this stuff and I really don't know how to make my own tunes. I have the edge race tuner now and my DPF is gone what should I do HELP please. Thx

Lifetime Member

Black vs blue comes down to the blue V2 being able to adjust contrast levels on the screen and having SCI bus capability for the 03(04?)-05 Cummins. Currently, this is not being used, but no you cannot update a black V2 with these abilities later on.

Also, if he flashed his truck then that license is used. Period. Flashing back to stock does NOT release the license, i.e. once you flash a controller it's permanently licensed regardless of what you do with it next.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

whether it is a good price or not depends on your intended use and what the tunes are.

$800 is not a bad price if it still has both VIN licenses. If it only has one VIN licensee and you only ever plan to tune your one truck it's not too bad either since you are saving about $100 over new. If you plan to tune multiple vehicles and there is only one VIN available, you would be money ahead to buy one new.

If the tunes are from a reputable tuner and ARE NOT VIN LOCKED there could be several hundred dollars worth of tunes to factor in. If they are VIN locked or are from someone who doesn't really know what they are doing I would consider know value in the tunes.

Just my .02
    Duane

2008 Ram 3500 QuadCab
    Hamilton 110# Springs & HD Pushrods, ARP 2000s, EFILive, SB 3250 DD

Thanks for the reply. He has 3 licenses used one on his truck and 2 left I'll only be doing my truck not wanting to do any others so that part don't matter. I'm just not sure about the tunes he has and no dsp5 with it if it will work for my truck and you think it a good price I guess I'll get it. He said I could read my ECM with the edge tune and see what they did is that true ? Also is there a place I can get tunes from that others have done or do I have to pay extra for them. This is stuff I'm not real sure about because if I get in and start changing stuff I'm going to mess something up lol.

Lifetime Member

I would strongly recommend AGAINST reading the Edge tune(s) and doing anything with them except looking at the changes. I.e. do NOT try to flash an Edge tune back to your truck with any modifications (heck even without any). If there are tables that Edge has adjusted that EFILive doesnt expose, you'll run yourself in circles trying to figure it out. Always start with a bone stock tune (some exceptions, but 99% of the time) and built it from there.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Hope this is not to much of a thread jack as I spend my time on here reading not posting. Could some one explain the licenses. The V2 comes with 2 licenses when purchased new, when I purchased mine it was used. The guy I purchased it from had used only 1 for his ECM and did not use the TCM part and I used 1 ECM license. Does this leave the 2 TCM licenses available or is the license for one VIN?

Quote Originally Posted by COSMOS View Post
    Hope this is not to much of a thread jack as I spend my time on here reading not posting. Could some one explain the licenses. The V2 comes with 2 licenses when purchased new, when I purchased mine it was used. The guy I purchased it from had used only 1 for his ECM and did not use the TCM part and I used 1 ECM license. Does this leave the 2 TCM licenses available or is the license for one VIN?
    The license he used for his ECM even if he didn't use the TCM that license is vin locked to his truck. The one you used can do your ECM and TCM hope this helps as I'm learning myself.

Sorry for the bad info as I guess I didn't read it wright on the license part.
    Last edited by realstreet; May 29th, 2014 at 10:27 AM.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by COSMOS View Post
    Each time you license an ECM or PCM a TCM slot becomes available automatically. Sure you have to go through the licensing process to 'marry' the TCM to your FlashScan but it's not at an additional cost.

In your situation you have used both ECM slots available on your device. You have 2 TCM slots available. If you wish to tune another ECM you would need to purchase a VIN license, but if you wanted to tune a TCM (it won't matter if it's not one of the 2 vehicles already ECM licensed- ie we don't cross reference the ECM details to the TCM) it would be free.

Cheers
    Cindy
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by realstreet View Post
    Thanks for the reply. He has 3 licenses used one on his truck and 2 left I'll only be doing my truck not wanting to do any others so that part don't matter. I'm just not sure about the tunes he has and no dsp5 with it if it will work for my truck and you think it a good price I guess I'll get it. He said I could read my ECM with the edge tune and see what they did is that true ? Also is there a place I can get tunes from that others have done or do I have to pay extra for them. This is stuff I'm not real sure about because if I get in and start changing stuff I'm going to mess something up lol.
    Before you buy it, have him plug it into your vehicle to see that it functions ok (scan OBD2 data, read ECM/TCM contents).

Lifetime Member

You are being offered a black unit for $800.00, $99 below current purchase price. Black units were shipped before December 2009, so your unit is a long way out of warranty.

It seems 'strange' that he would use one license, but it still has 2 license available. That would mean that he purchased a 3rd license ($125) to tune his vehicle. While this is possible, normally you wouldn't invest in additional licenses unless you needed them.

I've also considered that he may have upgraded from a previous EFILive product (FlashScan V1) and obtained additional licenses with his upgrade, however those 'bonus' licenses were in pairs, not singular.

To me a $99 discount on a full retail product that has been superseded (replaced 5 years ago with the Blue V2) and has no warranty seems like not a big enough discount for me to make the jump. How you feel about that is up to you.

Cheers
    Cindy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast