Thread: TCC erratic release commanded by PCM

Default TCC erratic release commanded by PCM

Hi, I have a problem that has just shown up today and I am about 2500ks from home and hoping to be able to sort it. The converter lock on my 4l80e is releasing for no reason I can identify. I have logged the TCC mode pid and the PCM is actually commanding the release. I will unlock for a couple of seconds and then lock back up. Sometimes it will only happen every 5 mins and sometimes it will constantly lock and release. I have no DTC's current and speeds and TP are all well within the locked window. The only thing I have noticed is the VSS will drop 10klms for a split second every few mins but not when the unlocking is occurring so I don't think it is related. Unfortunately I am not in a place where I can get parts. If someone could let me know what could cause a commanded unlock that would be great. It will give me something to log and try to narrow down. The engine is a Lq4 and appears to be running fine with no misfires. I have a trans temp and pressure gauge and all appears fine. The trans level is good and I just replaces the oil 1 week ago.

Any info will be greatly appreciated

Log the TSTATEnn pids, these may show the reason for unlocking the TCC.

Sounds like you VSS connector needs to be wiggled.

Lifetime Member

Or a wonky brake switch? Try lifting up on the brake pedal when it unlocks and see if it doesn't lock right back up.
    1998 GMC Sierra K1500 5.7/4L80E, longtubes, 411 w/COS 5, marine cam/intake, Whipple. 91 octane at 6000'.
    1997 GMC Sierra K3500 7.4/4L80E, 411 w/COS 3, Whipple, small cam.
    2004 Corvette Z06 with longtubes.

Good idea about the brake pedal switch... one of the TSTATE pids has a bit flag to indicate state of brake pedal switch.

Thanks for the info everyone. I logged the TSTATE pids and found out that the tcc was being commanded an unlock due to a downshift. I did a lot more logging and noticed that the vss was actually the cause. I was able to get a replacement vss but this did not fix the issue. I had to cut the plug off the vss and run a temporary cable to the PCM. This fixed the issue so it would appear I have a break in one of the wires as they meter out ok but must open circuit intermittently. Anyway I got home no probs. Cheers